Why Start A Sunfish Fleet?

sadkins372

The number of Sunfish is growing at our club and the question has come up if we should become an official Sunfish Fleet.
We need at least five Sunfish Class members to start a fleet (I do not find any info on the class website), so before I encourage others to join the class I wanted to brainstorm the benefits.

Why should someone join the class? My wife and I did because it was required for regional and other class sanctioned regattas. Also, I think it is good to support the class and we have met amazing folks in our short time). But for someone who just participates in club races or only recreational sailing, why join?

Why start a class fleet? What are the benefits for the fleet members and/or the club?

Thanks for your input and advice.

(Photo from application I received after emailing the class administrator)
ABAA93FF-1A0C-4B17-95CB-F5A7B4EF2CE1.jpeg

You could start one and I believe have your own sanctioned events. We joined because we liked the people and the work that the Class has done through the decades to keep the Sunfish the best little boat out there. We haven't ruled out racing one day, my main concern would be staying out of the way of Skipper and the serious racers. There used to be a good print newsletter with tips on maintaining the boat, Class events and other adverts, but I'm not sure if that is online now or where it went.

You could start one and I believe have your own sanctioned events. We joined because we liked the people and the work that the Class has done through the decades to keep the Sunfish the best little boat out there. We haven't ruled out racing one day, my main concern would be staying out of the way of Skipper and the serious racers. There used to be a good print newsletter with tips on maintaining the boat, Class events and other adverts, but I'm not sure if that is online now or where it went.
I am new to Sunfish, as of last August we we purchased our 1976 for me to get out on the lake more. We have a Thistle I crew on, but most only want to go out for races. I loved my time and spent hours out last fall. Then in November after watching Sunfish Worlds update in October I talked my wife into going to the FL Regional, even though I had never skippered in a race previously. We expected about 20 boats, but there ended up being 40. Thankfully I survived, but we had a great time and met so many amazing folks. Our experience attending three Sunfish regattas is that everyone is extremely friendly and welcoming. And happy to help with boat setup and sailing recommendations.

My wife loved it so much we came back and purchased a 2008 Sunfish for her and have started Sunfish races at our club (thankful for the Laser fleet letting us join their night). Now I spend my time trying to keep up with my wife and a couple of others. The ladies in FL named my wife's future Sunfish "Chasing Amy" and that is what I now do. So maybe all should start racing and you could Chase Skipper. :)

As to your first point, yes we could host Sunfish class sanctioned events. And they still send out the Windward Leg.

Having been in the military I like the camaraderie offered by associations like this, whether we race or not. It's a fun and sharing group. There is an informal group near us at Grandview Island (Hampton, VA) that sails year round, we're hoping to get over there soon now that we're getting settled in our new place.

I did find the past issues of Windward Leg on the Sunfish Class website: International Sunfish Class Association
One of the past issues has an article discussing the benefit of teaching others to sail, and soon the planet will be covered by Sunfish!

Back