why so few supplied builders?

R

Ross B

this has always bothered me, and I guess it has to do with sails, but we'll avoid that for now( DON"T BRING IT UP!)

but why are so few supplied builder items?

mean why is only Harken allowed to make a JC Clew Sleeve? why not Ronstan, or Holt Allen, or Lewmar, or any other companies?

same with the vang, so far its only Harken and Holt, I sure would like to see Ronstan's version.

I admit, Ronstan is much smaller than Harken, but I bet they could swing

and please try and avoid that it would raise prices a million dollers, because I doubt it would, most boats come with a Harken Pro vang, if you happen to even order the pro set up, usually you have to request the Holt, and I believe it is the other way around in Europe/AUS, not sure

I guess this go's for fairleads and such also, I know when I had to replace my boom bails, I had to find the EXACT same kind, and it was a serious pain, I went to 2 different West Marine's and couldent find them. (they were the closest ones, there is one in Newport, but its 20 minutes away by freeway, and gas is high...) Well they were "out of stock" screw it, I just ordered it from APS, but still, for the little dinky part its expensive, and then to have to pay shipping!

I had to find the EXACT same kind, and it was a serious pain, I went to 2 different West Marine's and couldent find them. Well they were "out of stock" screw it, I just ordered it from APS, but still, for the little dinky part its expensive, and then to have to pay shipping!

Welcome to Laser sailing. Buying your small parts online from APS or someone similar is by far the best way to go. Friends don't let friends do Worst Marine.

yea I know, I would have gone to APS off the bat, but I wanted the part yesterday....
its irrevelent now, I messed up my boom, and had to redo it again, so I need a new one, but thats not what we're talking about..

well surely another builder could build a vang within the rules? their not terriably complicated

It gets complicated and expensive for a considered supplier to do this. In my business I am one of several approved suppliers for a couple of major mobile device companies. When a new part comes out I have to build samples to the engineering spec and meet tolorances that are inspected by the customers engineers on the project. I have to also procure tooling on my dime to do this and this is all before I submit pricing for the item. Of course I could not afford this if I did not do substantial business with them already at good margin to be able to cover the R&D cost of new parts that are not always purchased.

and then there's that...

you really know how to take the fun out of it don't ya Rob?? lol

Even given the large size of the Laser population, I don't think there are enough people actively racing to justify multiple builders of specialized parts just for the Laser. Even more so if you consider competition would tend to drive price down.

this has always bothered me, and I guess it has I guess this go's for fairleads and such also, I know when I had to replace my boom bails, I had to find the EXACT same kind, and it was a serious pain, I went to 2 different West Marine's and couldent find them. (they were the closest ones, there is one in Newport, but its 20 minutes away by freeway, and gas is high...)

Why didn't you go to the VANGUARD store in Newport Beach?

like I said, 30 minutes away with traffic, WM is 10

and its in Costa Mesa, get it right!!

Well if you need a practice blades this summer dagger boards at $250, I will be offering 35% off Ground and 75% Priority via FedEx. But don't let them know!

Back