Why is this sub-forum so dead? Where are all the 14.2 owners??

Winston29

If you go back a few years to the archived threads, you'll find this was a pretty lively sub-forum, with all kinds of helpful advice and fun stories.
What happened? Did all those 14.2 owners outgrow their boats and move on??

It's a graveyard here. :(

Personally, I've got so much time and money invested in my Capri (one of my sailing friends calls it my "Crappy", but spells it Crapi) I'll likely hang onto it forever.
Lord knows I'd never get a faction of what I've invested in it, were I to try to sell it, even though it's in fantastic shape...... And I haven't even started on the trailer yet! :p

Sometimes it feels like it would be fun to move up to a keelboat, but you just can't beat the "Bang For The Buck" you get with this little boat.
Other than the parts I (likely needlessly) replaced, like all the running and standing rigging and the sails, it doesn't cost much at all to own.

Registration is practically nothing, and I'm not really sure why I got $500,000 worth of insurance for it. Probably because it was cheap and good for peace of mind, should I run into someone's expensive yacht or racing dinghy while learning to sail.

I pay $50 a month for a gated, security camera-equipped dry storage spot, just 100' from a really nice boat ramp with a with a dock on either side of it, and a free wash station.

Try finding that, in the SF Bay Area at least, with a keelboat. :D

It would be nice to see more posts from members with the 14.2. When I get my boat squared away and make my Go-Pro mount, I'll see what I can about turning this place around. :)

- W

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_ade.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_ade.jpeg
    718.9 KB · Views: 62
Well I didn't get it out on the water yesterday, but I did spend 8 hours adding bits and pieces to it and the trailer.
That's always fun!

I can't wait to get rid of those ugly sails. :confused:

Attachments

• ZSOL7u88RpKmpZIXVC5zeg.jpg
    ZSOL7u88RpKmpZIXVC5zeg.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 63
Light winds (no drama) sailing solo last fall...
I'm looking forward to getting out on a light wind, no drama, day. So far I've only been out with a more experienced friend in conditions I would never dare sail on my own. I'm talking 20+ mph. :eek:
I can only imagine how nice it must be to sail calmly and comfortably, without the need to hike-out or keep yourself at a heightened state of readiness, just to keep the boat upright.

Right now, sailing at all would be nice, but I'm waiting for my new trailer hubs, tires and wheels to arrive. Kind of hard to put the boat in the water when there are no wheels on the trailer. :p While waiting for my parts, I installed a set of trailer guide-posts to help when loading the boat solo on a windy day. No more watching the boat drift sideways off the trailer as I'm pulling it out of the water.

If I ever get my new sails, I'm going to have the most expensive, well-kept 14.2 you've ever seen! :D

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_ba4.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_ba4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
Love those guides, been looking at those too. What made you decide to change out your hubs? The axles and trailer look really well kept!

Overall the trailer looks pretty good. The PO even installed LED tail lights. :cool: I considered replacing the springs, as they had some surface rust, but I figure they've likely seen so few miles, it's not really necessary. How many people tow a small dinghy any significant distance every time they put it in the water?
Since I've owned it, it moves less than a mile a month.

When I got the boat, the trailer tire sidewalls were cracked and one of the wheels had signs of grease and dirt buildup on the inside of the rim (not a good sign). You just never know what the previous owners did in the way of maintenance, so it's a good idea to take a look.

I like knowing the condition of the things I own, especially if those things move and / or spend any time under water.
Also, the left hub didn't sound the way you'd want it to. It was a little too noisy and easy to turn. When I removed the hub, I found the outer bearing had some rust and there was scoring on the race and bearing cage. The grease looked a little too "creamy" too.

I don't know what color the grease was when it went in, but it came out a light brown color and was the consistency of pudding.
It also showed signs of rust.

Now I can rest easy, knowing everything is in good shape...... at least for a while.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_b9e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_b9e.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 54
  • fullsizeoutput_bb2.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_bb2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
If I ever get my new sails, I'm going to have the most expensive, well-kept 14.2 you've ever seen! :D

That's the kind of attitude I like... always cool to look good on the water, no law against showboating for the ladies!!! If your avatar doesn't impress 'em, the boat certainly will, LOL. :rolleyes:

I must admit that in years past, I was guilty of showboating by practically scraping my spars across the windows of all those bayside restaurants in Dago... I'd whip sharp tacks right below the glass galleries and stand up while sailing away, one foot down to leeward in the cockpit, one foot out by the weather rail, one hand on the tiller behind my back and one hand on the boom for support, flying off like a windsurfer and leaving a wake like a powerboat. No excuse for it, straight-up grandstanding for crowds ashore, LOL. I'd see folks behind the glass grabbing their cameras or phones to take a pic or some video... when the boat had her pirate theme going, we got photographed or filmed countless times, it was ridiculous. I'd pull the same routine with passing cattleboats chockablock with tourists on their harbor excursion, folks would line the rails and film away, go figure. I'd usually find or create an opportunity to hoist a cold beer and chug it as I flew past, steering with a foot momentarily hooked round the fore end of the tiller. Mind you, as the "Master of Low Profile" in my baggy clothes, Henschel hat, sunglasses, Sperry water mocs, sailing gloves, etc., me own dear departed mum wouldn't have recognized me, it was all about demonstrating mastery of my craft while keeping my identity a mystery, LOL. I let the boat speak for herself... between the Confederate Gunboat theme, the Pirate theme, and the Wild West theme, my boat garnered some publicity. One time, I even made the shipboard PA system aboard a large cattleboat, the skipper (and narrator of the harbor tour) announced to his passengers: "AND HERE WE HAVE OUR PIRATE SHIP..." :eek:

Aaaaaah, those were the GOOD OL' DAYS!!! LOL... ;)

Nothing wrong with taking pride in your craft, truth is you'll be a better sailor for it... and gear that's well cared for will certainly last longer than gear which is treated poorly. Don't forget to post pics of your baby when she's rigged in all her splendor!!! GoPro video shot under way would also be heller cool!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Yep I've been too busy sailing and trying to sell my house, needed a good rainy day to get on the chat room. In the last year or so I've posted plenty of useful things, actually hooked up with a guy from this site who met me in my home port of DesPlaines, Il. I took him out for a teaching cruise on wonderful Lake Opeka.
Now just last week I sailed Lake Geneva, Wisc. It's about 11 miles long and the wind was blowing full fetch 5-15 with a few gusts to 20. Wave heights about 2' + with a few whitecaps. Having a good crew member aboard made it possible to reef while underway which is impossible to do when single handing. With 2 experianced crew we got in the groove and the boat handled superbly!
Now for those who complain the boat is too tender I suggest they get a flatter bottom, hard chine hull. But don't go out in challenging conditions because when she goes over there won't be much warning. Capri just glides through the water, once you're used to her then maintaining control becomes automatic.Also can say that with the reef points in the main I've taken on some 20+ days with good control. In 3 seasons I've never dumped her yet!
The last and most important point to make is that when you're in the aggressive conditions be sure to keep a sharp eye out for any fittings or hardware that may work loose. After 5 hours on Lake Geneva my rudder bolts were working loose. I'm re-seating them with a generous application of thread lock to stop that problem. Also the wing nut worked loose from my mast bolt, and one of the circular retainers came out of the port shroud retainer pin. Thank God nothing let loose.
Cheers!

Yeah, I've had to tighten a few things down since taking the boat out in conditions it was likely never designed for. And while I'll admit that it's fun to go out in 20+mph winds, I don't like how it beats on my rigging, my sails, and my body when I do.

When I bought the boat, I had no intention of going out in those conditions, but my overeager sailing-buddy said it was the "best way to learn" (trial by fire?). I disagree, and I'm looking forward to learning in winds below 6mph for a while, working my way up to the max I feel comfortable with.

There's simply not enough time to figure out your mistakes, and there will be plenty, and correct them, when you're fighting high winds and choppy seas.
When I was taking my lessons in SF, if the wind speeds were above 15mph, they cancelled the class, and there were four of us in that boat!

Agreed that if you're new with the boat starting conservatively is the smart way to go. I felt the same way my first season. Now the boat will handle more extreme conditions if you have only ONE experianced crew member along. The boat's not big enough to do well with more than 2 people on board. I found that as a singlehander just running with the reefed main only makes the boat controllable in most conditions. You lose a little bit of pointing ability, but who cares? It beats sitting on the dock! This is my 3rd year with Capri and experiance got me to this level. Also had a 5 year gig with a Catalina 22 on Lake Michigan prior to. And there are limits on how extreme conditions will be compared to how energetic I feel before I quit the sailing mode. When it's super windy I may not even bother rigging the sails, just drop her in the water, bare mast motor out to the middle of my small lake, drop anchor, and chill out with a few brewskis. Nothing wrong with a 65 year old man taking an onboard nap in the afternoon!

I still haven't tried sailing on just the main. It's something I definitely want to try, but so far I've only gone out with a more experienced friend who isn't interested in experimenting with the foils. He just wants to go fast and hike-out as much as possible.
I also want to see what happens when sailing with just the jib.

I want to practice a bunch of things, but it looks like I'm going to have to go solo if I want that to happen.

New 14.2 owner here. 2002 number 5050. Took my first sail yesterday with just the main. Light winds 3-7 mph, the boat performed nicely for my first attempt at sailing ever.

Attachments

• Cat 1.jpg
    Cat 1.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 55
so far I've only gone out with a more experienced friend who isn't interested in experimenting with the foils..

That was supposed to say "sails", not "foils". :oops:

Congratulations on the new boat, Allen! Looks great! Nice to hear it sailed well on just the main. Keep the performance reports coming!
I'd be very interested to hear how quickly you feel it tries to turtle without a masthead float. I'm hoping I find it safe to remove mine, but I haven't tested it yet.

I used to sail my friend's C-15 under mainsail alone, especially when the breeze hit 12-15 knots... that boat was designed for 2-3 people, so there was nothing wrong with a solo sailor going under main alone. Beats trying to right the boat by yourself in heller surface chop, particularly with wind and tide in opposition. No shame in keeping marine safety your top priority... if you're having a hard time controlling the boat, it's time to reduce sail. One way is to reef (provided your mainsail has reef points), another way is to dock or beach the boat momentarily and lose the jib. Just lowering the jib is not the answer... better to stow it and clear the foredeck, if the wind & chop are strong enough the jib will get soaked anyway, and it'll be all over the foredeck in an unsightly clusterf#%!!! :eek:

If the wind is fairly light when you launch but the forecast calls for a noticeable increase, just hoist the main and get under way, boat speed and performance will pick up as the breeze rises. Might be a tad slow at the outset of your voyage, but you'll save yourself some work and aggravation later, LOL. ;)

Edit: As for experimenting, do it near your launch site in 8-10 knots of breeze... you'll be safe enough, and you'll get an idea of what works for you and what doesn't. Sailing in light airs and ultralight airs is a valuable skill, but you'll eventually want to do most of your sailing in 10-15 knots of breeze, higher once you gain sufficient experience. Those site members here with years or decades of experience will generally agree that sailing in 15-20+ knots of breeze is quite exhilarating, a lively boat is heller fun so long as marine safety remains the top priority. :cool:

Last edited:
Agree Caljr64... the dog days of summer have been extremely hot in the Carolinas. The weather is cooling mid week just in time for the fall race series on Saturday.

And while I'm at it..... What happened to the link at the top of the home page that allowed easy access to the C14.2 Forum??

Now when I open the site, all I see is stuff about Laser and Sunfish. I have to dig to find anything about the Capri.

What gives?! :(

And while I'm at it..... What happened to the link at the top of the home page that allowed easy access to the C14.2 Forum??

Now when I open the site, all I see is stuff about Laser and Sunfish. I have to dig to find anything about the Capri.

What gives?! :(

Is there a little "<" near the left end of the menu bar? Try clicking on that. I see the sailing forums logo, then the word forums, then C14.2, Laser, Sunfish, etc. On one end there is a "<" or ">". clicking on those scrolls the menu bar. Maybe yours is scrolled to the right far enough that you can't see the C14.2.

Back