Why is it so hard to find a laser in South Africa

StephenG

Hi

Does anyone know where i could buy a second hand laser in
South Africa? I've been asking around and still cant find anything. The only offer i've manage to find is a Laser GXD with Full rig for R37000.00. Thats abit steep for me at the moment.. I've even contacted New Generation Yachting and they got nothing other than a waiting list, lol and im number 17 on that list :eek:

thanks

Why don't you try to contact each sailing club and find out the people who have parked their laser's at the club and have not sailed for a while. You may get lucky...........

I have, in total i think i've contacted over 20 clubs around where i stay and still no one can help me out at the moment. I can pick up any other boats but not a laser for some odd reason.

yip i have ... they have a Laser GXD with full rig for R37000.00 and that excludes the freight to get from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth. Just to much for me at the moment. My budget is only about R15000 - R20000.

It's that or no one wants to sell there old lasers. If your a average joe like me who cant really afford to import boats or buy ex worlds boats, we kinder are stuck. But hopeful i'll manage to find one sooner or later. That or take a loan out for R37 000 @ 22% interest and close my eyes and buy a ex world laser.

Hey

I've finally managed to find a laser that is up for sale but the condition doesn't look to great. I've attached a few pictures of the boat. Do you guys think it's worth while or not. The owner wants R8500 (+-$850) for it. Just keeping in mind i'm a beginner with sailing lasers. I've mostly sailed mirrors before. Also the sail number is 73971.

thanks for the help.:D

Attachments

• laser 3.jpg
    laser 3.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 36
  • laser 8.jpg
    laser 8.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 33
  • laser 4.jpg
    laser 4.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 37
  • laser 6.jpg
    laser 6.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 34
The dings don't bother me, and neither do the ports for a beginning Laser sailor. They likely mean that repair work has been done before the breaking point was reached. Open the ports and look inside. See and feel if the mast step is solid and well-anchored. Pour water in the mast step and see if it leaks. Another thing to check, are there soft spots, or is the boat rigid (ideal)? Is there any separation at the seam along the gunwale?

From the photos to judge, 8500 ZAR is not to much for your Laser. A twin sister (from the colour of the hull we have at our club, about the same age, built by PSE). Even in Euro at Europe such a Laser would cost the same here. Your Laser has been built in 1980.
As Merrily mentioned: as long the mast step is not leaky and also the deck does not separate from the underwater-hull, you will have fun with that hull, as a beginner.
Test the hull about if it is watertight inside:
http://www.laserforum.org/can-you-tell-if-t5095.html?t=5095

Check, if the centerboard and rudder for alignment (for that they are in line at the hull).

Check the deck for delamination: Take a key and run the part of the key, that you ususally hold in your fingers, over the deck. If the key generates a hollow sound, the deck material may be delaminating.

Your feet sure in future like if you put some isolation foam tube for heating around the hiking strap and tape the tube to make it durable.

Think of a change of the wodden tiller to a tiller of aluminum. As long the wooden grabrails are not going to get rotten, there is no primary need to cnage them to ones made out of plastic.

If you plan to do some maintenance to the hull, here are some advises from one of the worldwide best experts in this sort of works:
http://www.laserforum.org/make-your-bottom-pretty-t3705.html?t=3705

Have fun
LooserLu

I would try weigh the boat to see how heavy it is - can't recall the normal weight for a laser hull but think it is about 60kg. If it is alot more than that then I might keep looking.

Looks ok from the pictures and it even has the XD upgrades for the cunningham and outhaul (bonus).

I would get the boat as is and the get out on the water. If you like it then start spending the money bring it up to racing spec. My first boat was 75265, easily capable of winning races at club level and still going strong (although I have had much newer boats since then).

To echo others look out for delamination in the deck, the joint between the deck and hull (this is a relatively easy fix), fill the mast step up with water and check for leaks and take the hatches off and make sure the step is securely fixed in place. Aside from that they are pretty much bullet proof. For a first boat you cannot really go wrong. I sold mine for more than I paid for it after having 2 years of good use for it.

That beach dolly looks heavy which can make life hard. From the looks of it I would listen to what's been said and ask urself if ur a good handyman. Expect having to fix fittings and do lotsa fibreglassin and stuff like that. A boat like this can be ok but can take up a lot of time. There is a argument for splashing out and gettin somthin newish, but then again if ur new to sailin then ur proberly gonna do some damage in the first 6 months. If u cant find anythin else then get it.

Try Island Sailing club in Durban, when I used to sail Lasers there they had a few boats lying around in the yard. Point Yacht club might also be worth a try, they had a few 1990 and newer hulls in their yard, as well as The Bluff Yacht club.

Back