Why’d I wait soo long?

gzblack2

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
So sailing seemed like a nice relaxing hobby,a way to waste some time on the lake or bay on a nice summer day. Something I’ve always been interested in but there’s been other passions keeping me busy (family,sports and such).
Well after my fourth child was born I picked up a used sunfish for cheap thinking I’d learn to sail when mom was with him on the weekends. Then I could teach him and we’d sail together when he was old enough.
Well as life often does here came a curveball, number 5!!!
Ok sunfish sat a couple years,but that day finally came, I took her out last Sunday. What a blast!! Thinking I understood the concept of sailing and trying to put this knowledge to work proved challenging,exciting,exhilarating,even scary. Although I didn’t capsize I’m pretty sure I came close, but I sure got wet.
Well I took her out again after work and navigated out and back across Lake Ronkonkoma again without flipping. Victory!!!.
I was a long time lurker and my only regret is not sailing sooner. This was much more adrenaline inducing then I thought it be, not at all the lazy sit back relax and watch the time pass activity I assumed it was.

So sailing seemed like a nice relaxing hobby,a way to waste some time on the lake or bay on a nice summer day. Something I’ve always been interested in but there’s been other passions keeping me busy (family,sports and such). This was much more adrenaline inducing then I thought it be, not at all the lazy sit back relax and watch the time pass activity I assumed it was.
It's a very good thing for adrenaline to flow.
8 Reasons a Little Adrenaline Can Be a Very Good Thing

To improve your adrenaline flow, try sailing in a Florida lake.

While there are youthful and empathic eyes watching from shore, there are other pairs of eyes watching from just above the surface—and from below! :confused:

On Long Island worst thing under water might be a snapping turtle.
The rush I got came from the 10-15 mph winds and my lack of experience.
Funny thing one of my hobbies is riding motorcycles on the track,reaching speeds of 140 mph. I couldn’t imagine 10-15 mph giving me some of that same rush and those butt clinching moments when you feel a little out of control.
I realize I have a lot to learn and can’t wait to get out again to continue my education.

Sailing does often seem like an easy and relaxed endeavor but conditions change quickly and it can then become an event requiring a lot of endurance and athleticism. My Dad sailed on Long Island Sound out of Northport when he was a teen. Have a good time and don't worry too much about capsizing. Push the limits-these boats are easy to right and getting dumped is a bit of fun!

It's a very good thing for adrenaline to flow.
8 Reasons a Little Adrenaline Can Be a Very Good Thing

To improve your adrenaline flow, try sailing in a Florida lake.

While there are youthful and empathic eyes watching from shore, there are other pairs of eyes watching from just above the surface—and from below! :confused:
Apparently, Lake Ronkonkoma has a few mysteries of its own! Indian legends, bottomless waters and underwater tunnels:

Is it haunted? Secrets of Lake Ronkonkoma

This mural of the Indian princess from the myth of the lake is painted on the old walls surrounding the lake.

Attachments

• 94BFADE6-37C6-4566-8A03-6D5675E9E97A.jpeg
    94BFADE6-37C6-4566-8A03-6D5675E9E97A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
  • 13936123-FD0C-4E61-989A-770593380112.jpeg
    13936123-FD0C-4E61-989A-770593380112.jpeg
    838.9 KB · Views: 43
There are lazy days, and crazy days! Both fun in their own way. I just was given a Sunfish in great condition. What a fun little boat.

I also have a Hobie Cat Getaway (I've had a variety of daysailers, mostly Hobies, for 29 years.). I encourage you to get the kids out on the boat with you. You might need a bigger boat. I started out with a Hobie 17, which I found out later is meant to be a solo racer. But it was ok until the kids got big. Now I have a Getaway, which is a great family boat. Will carry 6 adults or a passel of kids.

But I tell ya, the Sunfish is an absolute hoot! I sail it alone, and look for big wind days. I love getting knocked flat!

If things go as planned I’ll keep sailing the sunfish and build up some more experience. Eventually I’ll look to pick up a daysailer, with the long term plan being to move on to something we could overnight with the kids.
Plenty of great places to visit on and around Long Island.

Yep. When the boat starts to plane and then a gust hits and pops you over the waves... When on a broad reach and your also getting a boost surfing the waves... yep.

Back