Class Politics Who to address class legal ? to at NA Laser org

Merrily

Administrator
I have glued rubrail onto the entire gunwale of my nearly new Laser. I used 3M 5200 glue, permanent adhesive. I addressed the question of legality to the ILCA in England and got a reply requesting more info. I sent it, but an answer doesn't seem to be coming. Who in the North American Laser org do I address this question to?

In addition, from reading the rules, it seems the rubrail may not be legal, however, another rule states that if its purpose is to make you faster, it's probably not legal. Rubrail likely slows you down, but it keeps the gelcoat from chipping when you whack your boat on the dock.

I recently found that the North American class rules might not be the same as those listed at the international website. So who answers this sort of question for North America?

Merrily

Merrily said:
I have glued rubrail onto the entire gunwale of my nearly new Laser. I used 3M 5200 glue, permanent adhesive. I addressed the question of legality to the ILCA in England and got a reply requesting more info. I sent it, but an answer doesn't seem to be coming. Who in the North American Laser org do I address this question to?

Merrily

Ok, will answer in pieces as original attempt got lost somehow...

Obviously, the ILCA Chief Measurer (Jean-Luc Michon) is the final word and you reach him through the ILCA office (as you have). Past that (or, really, before that), in the North American Region we have four active District Measurers: Fred Schroth (active on the lists), Heinz Gebauer, Rudy Ratsep and Tim Landt. To get your question out to them you should send it to the ILCA-NA office with something like "Class Rules Question" in the subject. The office can forward it along to the District Measurers, or the ILCA office as necessary.

More answers in subsequent messages....

Tracy

Merrily said:
In addition, from reading the rules, it seems the rubrail may not be legal, however, another rule states that if its purpose is to make you faster, it's probably not legal. Rubrail likely slows you down, but it keeps the gelcoat from chipping when you whack your boat on the dock.

Merrily

I am not a measurer so can't offer an "official" ruling on your rubrail. While waiting for a response, you might also try searching the archives of the Laser e-mail list from a few years back as I recall an extensive discussion then.
I can offer a slightly different way of thinking about the fundamental rule... Basically, in North America I think we are used to thinking "if it is not explicitly disallowed then it is allowed" while I think the ILCA Rules follow the philosophy "If is not explicitly allowed then it is disallowed." So, if it doesn't explicitly say you can put a rubrail (or something to protect the rail) on your boat then it is probably not class legal.
However, that is just my personal opinion and I'd recommend you continue pursuing an "official" ruling through both the ILCA-NA and ILCA offices.

Tracy

Merrily said:
I recently found that the North American class rules might not be the same as those listed at the international website. So who answers this sort of question for North America?

Merrily

?
The North American Region does not modify the ILCA Class Rules... So, I'm suprised to hear you have found a difference. Perhaps we have a stale link on the ILCA-NA website which needs updating?

Soon (if not already) all ILCA-NA class members will receive their 2005 ILCA handbook in the mail which includes the class rules. What is printed in that handbook should match what is posted on the ILCA website and is what the ILCA-NA website should be linking too. Please let us know if there are errors!

Tracy

SFBayLaser said:
Obviously, the ILCA Chief Measurer (Jean-Luc Michon) is the final word and you reach him through the ILCA office (as you have). Past that (or, really, before that), in the North American Region we have four active District Measurers: Fred Schroth (active on the lists), Heinz Gebauer, Rudy Ratsep and Tim Landt. To get your question out to them you should send it to the ILCA-NA office with something like "Class Rules Question" in the subject. The office can forward it along to the District Measurers, or the ILCA office as necessary.

Tracy
Tracy,
Actually, Jeff Martin responded to my message to the ILCA. I understand from your response that I should address the question to the NA Region. Would snail mail or e-mail be preferable?
Janet

SFBayLaser said:
?
The North American Region does not modify the ILCA Class Rules... So, I'm suprised to hear you have found a difference. Perhaps we have a stale link on the ILCA-NA website which needs updating?

Soon (if not already) all ILCA-NA class members will receive their 2005 ILCA handbook in the mail which includes the class rules. What is printed in that handbook should match what is posted on the ILCA website and is what the ILCA-NA website should be linking too. Please let us know if there are errors!

Tracy
I found a difference under the topic of "Fleets." The ILCA says that a fleet must have six people who own their own Lasers and who are members of the association, who then petition the ILCA in writing to start their own fleet. In my query to Sherri Campbell, I learned there are no rules in NA to start a fleet. A group organizes as they please. Perhaps I misunderstood?

Janet

Merrily said:

Merrily

Merrily,

The answer to your question is in the ILCA Bylaws:
26. REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE

(a) Repairs and preventative maintenance to the sail, hull, deck, (and the list goes on) may be carried out without violation of these Rules provided such repairs are made in such a way that the essential shape, charcteristics or function of the original are not affected.

No need to consult anybody, IMHO. And I agree with your point that the rubrail doesn't give you a competitive advantage.

Cheers!

Back