Which vang

Steven

What is better ie easier, stronger, better made: Holt vang or the Harken Vang.

I hear that several of the Olympic sailors are using parts of the old vang system that is modified so that may make me rethink about plunking down $225 for a new one.

Comments?

I broke down and got a new Harken vang after spending money on blocks to try and make the old vang work better. The Harken vang rocks. I think you can use the old style pretty well in breexe up to 8 knts. Anything over that the new style is the way to go, (for me at least).

Steven said:
What is better ie easier, stronger, better made: Holt vang or the Harken Vang.

I hear that several of the Olympic sailors are using parts of the old vang system that is modified so that may make me rethink about plunking down $225 for a new one.

Comments?

I used the old vang and added 2 single cheek blocks (Harken micro) to the sides of the jam block, and a double with becket (also Harken micro) to the tail of the primary control line, for a full 15:1 purchase. So far, so good, but only been out with it once. About $50US for the whole works including some nice line to reeve it with. The new Harken vang ($165US) does look a bit nicer than my setup, and I expect the cam cleat is easier to use.

are the cheek blocks cross bolted or held by the pin? Also do you have a single that is cascaded to the boom or is it just the double that is attached?

That's a neat idea Chris, tell us how it works out after a few more tries. I like the newer style vangs because the cam cleat can swivle to the direction you are pulling from so you can crank on some vang even if you are fully hiked out (a bit harder to do with the old vang.)

As to which one is better, the Harken or the Holt, they both seem pretty darn good to me. I have only used the Harken but know people who use their Holt problem free.

I used to have the old vang with extra purchase so cranking it on was not a problem, getting it off was!! But I have seen strong blokes able to release the old vangs holding the line well up above shoulder height..me I don't have the strength so the cam cleat on the $$ new ones is the go.

Steven said:
are the cheek blocks cross bolted or held by the pin? Also do you have a single that is cascaded to the boom or is it just the double that is attached?

I replaced the pin with a slightly longer SS bolt w/ locknut, because that's what I had on hand. Next time @ the chandery I'll see if I can find a pin. The stock pin is too fat to fit through the 4mm holes in the Harken micro blocks, and is also too short.

maybe ill use my old vang for kicks this weekend, and be a bad ass like robert, that would be fun, but will probably suck half way through the day, or downwind, wait, it will totaly suck downwind, maybe ill just stick with the new stuff and be cool, but bad ass is so much more awsome

Hi,

I use the old vang, souped up to 15:1 like Chris123, and DrLaser drawings. The key to the new ratio is that the old cleat has a LOT less stress on it so it works well. ALSO, I reverse the blocks, so the cleat block hangs off the boom. With a swivel, it can be spun to face you, so easing and trimming is very easy, whether on a beat, reach or run. 36 bucks, and you are much improved over the old stock system.

I wouldn't ever say this is better than Harken or Holt upgrades, just that it's an option.

Al Russell 66451

I have had both Holt and Harken. I think the Harken is better in one area. When you are on a broad reach and want to pull the kicker on you are pulling across the vang at 90 degrees. The Holt made of plastic that bends under these conditions (I felt it could break). It is also longer than the Harken which accentuates the bending. The Holt also has an awkward crossover in the secondary line. Apart from these points (the first one is a biggie) there is no difference.
Since changing to the Harken I love being able to pull the vang to the block-to-block point ready for the beat, even if I am on a run or broad reach. I have marked my secondary line so that I know how far to pull.

Having said this it sounds like you have nothing to loose by upgrading the old vang system.

i emailed Ben Ainslie and he said that more and more people are choosing the harken... if that means anyhting to you. and although in his book it shows the holt allen being used... he said he never used either... he was just showing off the new system

c ya

Howdy Gents,
I've purchased both vang & cunningham kits, Harken and Holt. And I've done a little modifing to the Holt.
I downsized the secondary line on both the vang and cunningham on the Holt from a 5mm to a 3.5mm line and changed the cunningham double blocks w/becket to ronstan series 19 blocks. The only thing I don't like about the set-up is the crossing lines on the vang that was mentioned in an earlier post. But other then that it runs very freely and has worked well so far.
I want to try to same modifications to my Harken and see the difference it makes with it. Who knows, I might like it even better then the holt.
Lifted tacks and full sails!
Regards,
Fishing Mickey
178894/150087

do you know what type of line the 3.5mm is? i agree that the 5mm is abit chunky, and i cant put it through plastic tubing to make a lovely lovely handle

Re: Which vang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

do you know what type of line the 3.5mm is? i agree that the 5mm is abit chunky, and i cant put it through plastic tubing to make a lovely lovely handle

Not sure the exact name of it... I bought it from West marine and I think it is made by the England rope Co.
I'll look further for it...
Fishing Mickey
178894/150087

old man steptoe said:
I'm using 4mm (5/32") Swiftcord in the ends of the lines that I pull on. It's soft, easy to grip, and cleats well. I haven't bothered to make any kinds of handles on the lines, beyond just tying a loop. Some others have commented that it seems to not hold up to really hard use. I've had mine for almost a season of 4-8 hours sailing/week and it's looking good.

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e846.asp

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Yes, The other (cascade line) is smaller then 3 or 3.5 mm (vang cleated/handle) line I'm using now. I didn't find a match for it in the APS catalog. But there are several that look like they'll do nicely in the catalog.
Excel D12 - Marlow is one, Aracom T - Yale is the other. I've tried matching it from the New England web site.... good selection of ropes here.
http://www.neropes.com/pleasure_marine/default.htmropes
Happy tinkering!
Fishing Mickey
178894/150087

iain_CAN165061 said:
i emailed Ben Ainslie and he said that more and more people are choosing the harken... if that means anyhting to you. and although in his book it shows the holt allen being used... he said he never used either... he was just showing off the new system

c ya

What else would he say? They do sponsor him after all...... Back here in old blighty I guess 95% of sailors use the Holt vang. It works well with very few failures. It does'nt appear to have any issues with nuts falling off unlike the Harken version...

Wich Vang is stronger? Holt. Has a Breaking strength 50 lbs higher then the Harken (Apparently) but since we are dealing with loads below Safe Working Load it does not matter. People tend to buy the Harken over the holt around here mainly due to name recognition and looks. I have sailed with both. Both work great. The stock line does not release well. The Maffilolli Swift Cord works amazing. So did some old 3/16th spectra that is all worn and soft. It was murder on the hands new but is great now.

Anouther thought. What do the top guys use? At that level gear is minor. Any of the top guys can get into any boat including yours and stomp you. It is a humbling experience. As long as your gear works as in releases easy and is the right purchase ratio for your strength to pull it back on it's all good.

Steve.

I have the harken system, and I have been very pleased with it. I can crank on my vang soooo tight and then it is easy to realise it agian when you are on the downwinds. I know more people with the harken system than the holt system. So I can't tell you much about the holt system, all that i can tell you is that i love my harken system! :)

-Megan:) Sailing Is The Best!

I had the chance to look at both systems up close last weekend. For some reason, our local sailboat store had one of each on display (same cardboard Vanguard package). The Harken system is pretty simply designed and put togther; it's basically two stamped stainless-steel sides with the guts of the vang (blocks and such) riveted between them. The Holt unit has more parts, and it's made of a number of different materials: sheet and rod stainless steel, plastic, and it has blocks attached to the outside of the main vang structure. I have no idea if there's a real difference, but the Holt cleat support looks less solid than the Harken.

FWIW, I have a Harken on my boat, and it's given no hint of problems after a full season of abuse.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Back