Which vang: Harken or Holt Allen?

laser152071

I would guess that some of the people here have had experience with both the Harken and Holt Allen vangs. If so, care to give a recomendation for one and the reasons why it is better?

Thanks,

-Bruce
Laser 152071

Hello Bruce,
I've got both and really can't tell much difference performance wise between the two. The one thing I don't like about the Holt is the fact that the lines cross and rub together.
They both let off easily and seem equally robust.
Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Hey Bruce,
as Fishing Mickey said, there isn't too terribly much of a differance between the two vang systems, both feature high quality components and offer the same mechanical advantage. I personally have the Harken system, for no other reason then I guess I've always used Harken hardware on all my differant boats, and by now have almost memorized their entire product line.
My only complaint is that the bottom block assembly hits the top of my deck mounted compass during tacks, and I use the upgraded vang swival. I also haven't gotten around to/haven't seen any need to upgrade the cunningham/outhaul let, so when I do that the rearrangement of the deck hardware will fix that problem. Hope this advice helps.

I'm the same as above. Used both, the Holt Allen was just fine, but in the end, I use (and sell) the Harken vang.

When was the last time you ever had a problem with a Harken product? That's important to me.

I use the Holt vang, but thats just because it came with my boat. The Holt so far has had no problems at all, because i forgot what the Harken vang felt like, i used my brothers for a day, it kept jamming on me so i decided I will never use a Harken Vang again, but there must have been some kind of problem with it. When i say jam...the shackle part that connects to the boom would get jammed into the boom, this made impossible to crank on the windy conditions at OCR. But a new Harken is just fine.

Yes both were the new Vang setups

Personally, I like Holt Allen. I don't have either, but Holt Allen has two words, Holt and Allen...I like that.

Also Harken is latin for "bad vang"

...ok, it's not really...but boy, that'd be ironic huh?

fishingmickey said:
Hello Bruce,
I've got both and really can't tell much difference performance wise between the two. The one thing I don't like about the Holt is the fact that the lines cross and rub together.
They both let off easily and seem equally robust.
Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Fishingmickey - sounds like me!

Back