Which upgrade is better?

Which upgrade is better?

• Keep the old vang, but add new deck cleats, cunny, and outhaul

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Keep old outhaul (thimbled, 3:1), keep old cunny, buy new vang system

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Add some blocks to the old outhaul and cunny, and buy a new vang system

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • Add blocks to the old vang and buy the new outhaul/cunny system with deck cleats

Votes: 26 46.4%

• Total voters

planing away

I've got a question for all of you out there with more experiance using the new systems: If I wanted to upgrade some things on my boat without having to spend the money for the full new vang, cunny, and outhaul, what would be the best thing to do?
If you have other suggestions besides those listed in the poll please let me know.

Ben

buy some micro blocks for the cunningham and vang, theres really not a whole lot u can do after that without buying the deck fittings, soooo, if u want the cheapest and most effective thing to do, buy the deck fittings(only them) get some micro blcoks for the cunningham and outhaul
(keep the cunningham 3:1 to save the expensive double blocks), use the old lines u have for the two, stick a micro block in the vang were the loops is.

7 micro blocks 11$ Canadian each.
deck fittings, 150-175$ for both,
so for 250 bucks, canadian u can get pretty close to the real deal.
PEACE :twisted:

Upgrade kit at www.layline.com $199.00 brings the haul and cunny to the deck via new setup + new lines.

Do vang for your bday....or xmass what ever is closest after you have done the upgrade.

done. :)

Someone named PEACE wrote:
> (keep the cunningham 3:1 to save the expensive double blocks)

3:1 is Useless!
And you can get 6:1 with two single blocks. Which is the preferred rig, unless you are 110 lb. or so.

Check drLaser website:
http://www.drlaser.org

Rooster Sailing (UK) markets a 6:1 cunningham, too.

Shevy Gunter

PS. IMHO, Option 4 is the correct choice in the poll.

correction

first of all there "drLaser"?? the name isnt Peace, its ludachris, and second of all, all i meant was, intead of using the 2 eyes as your cunningham purchase, chuck a couple micro blocks in there to make it run smoother, sorry i have no doctorate in the laser class and dont know my professional purchase numbers but i think we all know what i meant.
PEACE :twisted: :evil:
LUDACHRIS

i say

[size=24:068da421c2][/size:068da421c2][u:068da421c2][i:068da421c2][b:068da421c2]None of them![/b:068da421c2][/i:068da421c2][/u:068da421c2]

[size=12:068da421c2][/size:068da421c2]no, honestly, you really don't need them. if i was given them for free, i would take them, but you really don't need them to be a laser animal!

[quote:3413bd4597="phantomdarkness"]i say

[size=24:3413bd4597][/size:3413bd4597][u:3413bd4597][i:3413bd4597][b:3413bd4597]None of them![/b:3413bd4597][/i:3413bd4597][/u:3413bd4597]

[size=12:3413bd4597][/size:3413bd4597]no, honestly, you really don't need them. if i was given them for free, i would take them, but you really don't need them to be a laser animal![/quote:3413bd4597]

True.

But have you ever driven a boat with them. 8)

ummm...k

ok if you've ever sailed in 20knts or more of wind you'd quickly realize how damn frusturating it is to ajust control lines with the old stuff. i know it is extremely hard to ajust the vang when starting to head up and the new stuff makes it so much easier! and a major pain in the ass is when your outhaul clam cleat starts to wear out. with the new stuff in the cockpit area it is easily excesible to ajust. I LOVE THEM! ALL OF THEM!!

Re: ummm...k

[quote:45f38a1f25="macwas16"]ok if you've ever sailed in 20knts or more of wind you'd quickly realize how damn frusturating it is to ajust control lines with the old stuff. i know it is extremely hard to ajust the vang when starting to head up and the new stuff makes it so much easier! and a major pain in the *** is when you outhaul clam cleat starts to wear out. with the new stuff in the cockpit area it is easily excesible to ajust. I LOVE THEM! ALL OF THEM!![/quote:45f38a1f25]

Thank you for illustrating my point. 8)

umm, yeah, i have sailed in 20 knts. i have actually sailed in 30 constant with gusts up to 40 or so. If you know how to do it, it is not that hard to tighten the lines. you just have to have strength, which you should have anyway.

ummm...k

i weigh 95lbs. and can pump 10lbs! go me i rock. ok, the point of the post was to show how cockpit controll lines are much easier to work with because they are more practical. they wouldn't have made them for no reason. do you really believe that if your flying about in 20knts of wind that you want to bend over to grab the outhaul and tighten it threatening to have the boat go over. and trust me i HAVE gone over that way. if you believe the new systems are MORE of a hassel, then, then, well you're a nutcase.

ummm...k

also another good point concerning the same bending-over-when-trying-to-keep-the-boat-flat issue is that with the old vang block, to realease it you must be at and angle nearly directly over it. i personaly find it a problem because i dont have the arm length or strength to do that under a lot of pressure. also i find that in 20knts of wind i need every bit of my 95lbs on the rail and can't sacrafise any to go tighten or loosen the vang or any control line.
POINT MADE........

"New rules have effectively put the old rig out of commission."

Shevy Gunter
From the "NA Mailing List"

See
http://www.laser.org/archives/2001/msg04020.html
for a complete discussion on the list serve.
Ran across it when I asked myself this very same question and I thought the logic was reasonable.

Bruce MacInnis

The quote is mine. As signed. Otherwise, I would not have signed it.

There are MANY posts on this subject. Not just the one with the link provided by Bruce.

The original reference to the quote appears at the URL ending with the file name: msg0414.html

To view a complete chronological listing of the related discussions on the NA "Mailing List" during July 2002, you can see the Index at:
http://www.laser.org/archives/2001/mail7.html

This index of posts is odered from newest to oldest (top to bottom). Scroll down about 1/4 of the page to locate the earliest (lowest) incidence of the subject line ""New rules have effectively put the old rig out of commission". Work your way up from there.

Open each e-mail with a right click of your mouse and select "Open on new window" (or similar woding) so that the post appears in a new browser window and the Index listing always remains in a lower window. Makes life easier. (Close the post window after you're done with it each time.)

Press "Prev Page" at the top to see the index of e-mails that were posted LATER.

Have fun.

There are tens of thousands of posts there! See you next month :)

Stay wet,

Shevy Gunter

"Cheat the nursing home, die on your Laser!"
(Nils Ove Andersson, born 1938, Stockholm, Sweden.)
----------

The Forum lessons to be learned are:
(Well, that's not the topic of this Forum section.)

sorry for not posting lately, but being a sophmore in high school sucks. too many papers. ok, to all those people who say that they can't loosen their vang when going upwind. I'm only 140 pounds (Or used to be), and i had to hike A LOT. if the wind got over 10 knts, i was screwed. So i had to constantly change the sail controls, including the vang and the outhaul. on the vang, you make a loop, and then get a little extra. you then attach the extra line to the ceterboard. therefore, it can't fall into the water. then you reach up, turn the block by tugging on the line so it is facing you, then jerk up several times. this will release the vang. on the outhaul, i am still working on how to control this. right now i am on the "do it while you tack" stage. this works pretty well, actually. And the cunningham, you [b:4ed364d590]DEFINETLY[/b:4ed364d590] use the "while you tack" technique. this is a little long winded, but this is how i deal with the old stuff, and i think that i works

ummm...k

i hear you but as i said with winds over 10 knts i can't afford to reach to the centerboard or vang block to realease it. i guess i'll try the"while you tack method" but sometimes i forget to do that because i'm more concerned about boats hitting me.

Did the full upgrade on my boat last week and sailed 3 races on Saturday, two back to back in 25 knots with 4 ft swell. While I have no doubt I could have handled the conditions with the old setup the new controls, particularly the vang make it so easy.
Tricks like bearing away at the top mark, flicking the cunningham and outhaul out of the camcleats and forgeting about them, couldn't do that with the old setup, the cunningham would recleat and if i hadn't remembered to drop the outhaul on the final tack before the mark I was stuck with whatever outhaul setting i had beat with.
Adjusting the vang while going downwind isn't just possible now, its easy to dial up a great looking sail going downwind but, of course, your doing this at your own peril! I've ordered a spare boom and top section!
So, my advice, do the whole upgrade now, you never will be able to sell the boat for a good price if it isn't modified so you might as well enjoy the goodies till new boat time.

[quote:4de0edeb5c="Darryn"]Did the full upgrade on my boat last week and sailed 3 races on Saturday, two back to back in 25 knots with 4 ft swell. While I have no doubt I could have handled the conditions with the old setup the new controls, particularly the vang make it so easy.
Tricks like bearing away at the top mark, flicking the cunningham and outhaul out of the camcleats and forgeting about them, couldn't do that with the old setup, the cunningham would recleat and if i hadn't remembered to drop the outhaul on the final tack before the mark I was stuck with whatever outhaul setting i had beat with.
Adjusting the vang while going downwind isn't just possible now, its easy to dial up a great looking sail going downwind but, of course, your doing this at your own peril! I've ordered a spare boom and top section!
So, my advice, do the whole upgrade now, you never will be able to sell the boat for a good price if it isn't modified so you might as well enjoy the goodies till new boat time.[/quote:4de0edeb5c]

Why a new boom and top section.??

I'm using more vang, particulary reaching in low wave/high wind conditions. I'm preparing for when I do drag the boom I may bend it beyond use. The top section has always been in peril with my downwind technique!
Also had two booms bend on Lasers (with upgrades) in last 3 club races so I think its wise to carry spares, if not for me, to help keep mates on the water.

Man I would not be able afford to bend any booms or top sections or anything like that. I dont see how you take it lightly mate!

Seth

This brings up a topic that was discussed on this forum. Should the World Council seriously consider allowing for upgrades to spars to compensate for the increased purchase that is available with the new systems. If not for anything but safety reasons besides the obvious performance increases. I know that the world council tested Carbon uppers for the Radial that allowed lower weight sailers to to effectively tune the rig without potentialy damaging it because of eccess force. They said that the spars would cost about twice as much but recieved such positive feedback from testers that they felt that they wouldn't have a problem on the sales front. Also they felt most people would pay for a spar that last twice as long as the standard.

I know I'd be interested.

According to the mailing list the Council just voted on weather to accept the use / manufacturing of the proposed masts.

Voted 56.5 or something which is not enough they need 66.6 to get the go ahead. However they agreed that it would be a good idea to allow testing to continue then revote at a later time.

[quote:dab3a3bbbf="macwas16"]what counsil is this? the ilca?[/quote:dab3a3bbbf]

The World Counsil

http://www.drlaser.org/plfRULEvote.html

"Man I would not be able afford to bend any booms or top sections or anything like that. I dont see how you take it lightly mate!

Seth"

In my experience the Laser is by far the cheapest sailboat that can be campaigned at a National Championship level. In other classes that I have competed in the cash burn has been at worst $7k/annum and more recently, on my cat, its down to $3k/annum but thats been mostly for materials as I build almost everything for my Cat. The Laser looks like levelling at $1.5k/annum and for that much I can walk into a shop, buy the bit and be sailing it 1 hour later. The only thing I've made so far for the Laser is a hiking wetsuit cause I couldn't find what I wanted.

So Seth, thats why I take it lightly, comparitively the boats a bargain.

[quote:f682a4fa1a="Goonie"]I dont think you guys are spelling COUNCIL right. ;)[/quote:f682a4fa1a]

Here is the new and improved spelling.

[b:f682a4fa1a]WISE-ASS[/b:f682a4fa1a]. :D :D :lol:

ummm...k

[quote:2d880ef069]" Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals, I get my back into my living. I dont need to fight, to prove Im right. I dont need to be forgiven!"[/quote:2d880ef069]

sounds like a canadian grunt :D

Originally posted by macwas16
[quote:2d880ef069]" Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals, I get my back into my living. I dont need to fight, to prove Im right. I dont need to be forgiven!"[/quote:2d880ef069]

sounds like a canadian grunt :D

Tis a great song.

Yes IT IS!!! Im surprised MAC does not know it. K how old are you?

Seth

Back