Which rig?

TimClark

I need some help choosing which rig I should use this year. I currently weigh in at 135 and I am 6 feet tall. I am wondering whether I should go with the full or radial rig this year. I sailed Radial last year but am considering moving up this year. I also sail on LIS, so there won't be too many days where we will get good breeze (with the exception of frostbiting).

Tim

If it is super light (under 10 kts) most of the time you could sail whatever rig gives you the best competition in your area. I imagine you would be soon overpowered in a full rig at 135 if it got up towards 15kts or so, even with your height. Maybe do full rig in the summer and radial for frostbiting.

I too have the same problem, i am between 140-145 and about 5'7'', but very muscular. Currently, i sail a 4.7, but i am thinking about moveing up. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated. Thank you!
Brendan

PressureDropBG said:
very muscular.
Sounds like someone thinks highly of themself:D . yah i have a problem with my radial in the higher winds at about 135 and 5'9". i would stick with the radial if there is good competition because you will be more competitive in the different winds. And you can also look at the advise of Paige Railey who says that the Perfect Weight for a radial is 155lbs.

PressureDrop- You sound like a good size to move to the radial, room to grow into it and more sail area for you.

thats what i tell him but supposedly his coach says he should stick with 4.7. i personally should get a 4.7 for higher winds.

Whatever rig you choose you need to stick with it. Swaping between rigs is a bad idea. Your not going to be able to use a 4.7 rig in one windy race of a series - so don't be tempted to do it when you can. Go out there and struggle to windward in 30kts with your 7.2m like every else will have to, you'll be better in the end.

alrighty boys(and girls)
im 17, weigh 135 and i am 5'5"tall(and female for that matter)...and i sail a radial. To PressureDropBG...im pretty sure you can move up to a radial. Plus its more fun...can go faster.;) go for the change...you'll love it!

Back