Which rescue knife?

joe c

banned
im not real worried about getting tangled in rigging during a capsize but i dont have a knife on me generally. gill sells one but i see mixed reviews online. not sharp. rusts. corrodes. blah blah. the rooster one looks like some turkish sword. and i dont know if it will cut line and a harness strap. the zhik t3 has a quick release but you still have to get out of the legs. thats what ive currently got for trapezing. but im just thinking a knife would be a good thing to have on the harness just in case. id rather my crew cut everything to get out if needed.

so what ya'll using? i do like the gill because it looks like its designed for cutting webbing and rope.

im not real worried about getting tangled in rigging during a capsize but i dont have a knife on me generally. gill sells one but i see mixed reviews online. not sharp. rusts. corrodes. blah blah. the rooster one looks like some turkish sword. and i dont know if it will cut line and a harness strap. the zhik t3 has a quick release but you still have to get out of the legs. thats what ive currently got for trapezing. but im just thinking a knife would be a good thing to have on the harness just in case. id rather my crew cut everything to get out if needed.

so what ya'll using? i do like the gill because it looks like its designed for cutting webbing and rope.
In 40 years of sailing my Laser, I haven't needed to cut myself out of a tangle yet, but I DO carry a rescue knife. Sometimes a sudden death roll will bring things over on top of you. This one is a "Boker" model, partially serrated, and I have it sewed to my life jacket. It's wicked sharp and I have it arranged so I would have to pull it down and away from my throat. I keep a thin film of petroleum jelly on the blade as I sail in salt water. It is also on a stretchcord lanyard in case it gets dropped.

Attachments

• boker knife.jpg
    boker knife.jpg
    973.7 KB · Views: 45
  • boker.jpg
    boker.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 39

Back