Which one is right for us?

A

Aldro

I have a dliemma that maybe the forum can help me with!
My children have discovered the joys of dinghy sailing so we'd like to buy a dinghy for them.
My 18 year old son weighs 73 Kg and wants something which he can race in so a Laser would seem ideal
BUT
my 15 year old twin sons only weigh 45 Kg each so the Laser would seem to be too much for them to handle even with a 4.7 rig.
We're not going to buy 2 boats and anyway the twins have started to their growth spurt so by next year they should cope with the 4.7/radial setup but I'm not a dinghy sailor so I'm stuck at this point.
The question is would the Laser really be too much for them to handle at this stage?
Thanks for any advice

For those of you like me that still only understand the English system I plugged in the conversion
160 pounds = 73kg
100 pounds = 45kg

So a Laser would be fine for all of them.
Your older son could easily handle a radial and probably a full rig, depending on how strong he is.

Your younger sons could handle the 4.7 and probably a radial, it depends on thier experience and strength more than just pure body weight.

Others may be able to give their opinion/suggestions as well.

The other comparible class would be sunfish which would be ok for all of them.

best,

Get laser with a variety of rigs - they'll manage, especially if they start off with a few times out without racing.

I think that a Laser sounds great for your kids. Depending on how hard it blows where you live, the smallest rig you need is probably a radial. Your older son probably can hold down a full rig, and 100 lbs. seems like plenty in a radial unless your sons want to go out in really big wind.

Have you thought about something besides a one person boat. Mabye you could put your kids in a Laser II, 420, Snipe (like a 420), or go high tech and put them in a 29er. These are only a couple of good two man crew boats I know. You also could try a three man boat like a Thistle or Lightning.

Good Luck.

Look at what is raced locally in decent numbers before deciding. if lasers are popular, get one with the rigs discussed above, if not, look at other boats.

I agree with Will. The boat you decide to get really should depend on what kind of racing is popular at your club/area.

You must remmember that sailing is not only about racing. Of course, it is a big part, but not all. Lasers are great because they are just as much a racing boat as it is a daysailing boat, it is just how you use it and rig it. You may not end up getting any formation of a laser, but i would highly suggest it.

But there are better boats around for day sailing and off the beach sailing. Rotomoulded polyethylene designs are perfect for having fun in off the beach as they're indestructable. Day sailing is better with larger boats that can be sialed by two or more people easily. I don't know if Laser Picos are made in the US but they are almost perfect for kids day sailing with some racing.

hey why dont you buy a soling you have 3 kids soling is for 3 people
its a great and fast boat i had one great boats
or buy a 420 or something for your kids to go sailing and not fight whose going first cause 3 teens and 1 laser is no good

Back