Which daysailer to buy

Charles Wallace

Hi. I'll be buying my first boat within the month- just rented RV space for several months in a resort on Lake Pleasant, just north of Phoenix. I've been sailing for about a year and half - Pensacola Bay, various Colorado Lakes - in club boats - Catalina 22 and J-22's. I'm quite comfortable in those boats in mild and moderate winds - I usually sail solo.

I'll be trailering the boat between 3 Az lakes and keeping it in dry storage at the marinas and buying used to save $. I'm thinking a weighted centerboard vs a fixed keel - ease of getting into and out of the water - and easier to dock on an island beach, and easier launching and recovery. I don't want a dinghy - Im a bit old for that. But I'd like something more exciting that a Catalina 22, and something with enough of a cabin to overnight occasionally in nice weather. Thinking 17-25'.

What I'm seeing around here at Lake Pleasant are some ODay's, Catalinas of course, San Juans in the 20+ foot range. Any thoughts on these boats performance, and other likely candidates? I sailed a friends 19' Flying Scot with a centerboard. Much faster than the Catalina's and lighter - no cabin to speak of though

Hi. I'll be buying my first boat within the month- just rented RV space for several months in a resort on Lake Pleasant, just north of Phoenix. I've been sailing for about a year and half - Pensacola Bay, various Colorado Lakes - in club boats - Catalina 22 and J-22's. I'm quite comfortable in those boats in mild and moderate winds - I usually sail solo.

I'll be trailering the boat between 3 Az lakes and keeping it in dry storage at the marinas and buying used to save $. I'm thinking a weighted centerboard vs a fixed keel - ease of getting into and out of the water - and easier to dock on an island beach, and easier launching and recovery. I don't want a dinghy - Im a bit old for that. But I'd like something more exciting that a Catalina 22, and something with enough of a cabin to overnight occasionally in nice weather. Thinking 17-25'.

What I'm seeing around here at Lake Pleasant are some ODay's, Catalinas of course, San Juans in the 20+ foot range. Any thoughts on these boats performance, and other likely candidates? I sailed a friends 19' Flying Scot with a centerboard. Much faster than the Catalina's and lighter - no cabin to speak of though

Look at an S2 6.9. It is 22' has a crank up keel so it's easy to trailer and cabin with a berth for two, and performs well. A well made boat produced in Holland MI. I don't think they are still made but are some good used ones around.

Look at an S2 6.9. It is 22' has a crank up keel so it's easy to trailer and cabin with a berth for two, and performs well. A well made boat produced in Holland MI. I don't think they are still made but are some good used ones around.
Thanks for your suggestion. Looks like a nice boat

Back