Which control lines are best?

Scott Hansen

I use spectra ropes with polyester cover for my control ropes. I've heard plain dyneema is good for control lines. What do you think is best?

A lot of top sailors do use plain Dyneema even for the cleating ropes of their control systems, and I would like to hear their arguments, too. It doesn't make sense, as plain Dyneema is slippery and doesn't like cam cleats. The cover is there for better grip and to protect the load-bearing core. The only reason would be the ability for easy splicing, but I don't see many doing that.

That said, I'm going to get a plain Vectran line for my traveller... I want to splice it and the Clamcleat doesn't wear it out that quickly. And it looks cool :D

A lot of top sailors do use plain Dyneema even for the cleating ropes of their control systems, and I would like to hear their arguments, too. It doesn't make sense, as plain Dyneema is slippery and doesn't like cam cleats. The cover is there for better grip and to protect the load-bearing core. The only reason would be the ability for easy splicing, but I don't see many doing that.

That said, I'm going to get a plain Vectran line for my traveller... I want to splice it and the Clamcleat doesn't wear it out that quickly. And it looks cool :D
Yeah its cool but i think vectran is a bit too elastic, thats why i like non stretch spectra

Vectran "elastic" compared with Spectra? I don't have the numbers right now, but I think you've got that one backwards...

haha i mean what type of rope would that be? the one that i have. Just wondering so if people ask i know exactly what it is.

Vectran is primarily used for halyards on big boats. It doesn't stretch and more importantly it doesn't creep like Dyneema. Dyneema/Spectra is unique among the no-stretch cores because it is actually the fibre version of the solid plastic Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWP). The solid is used as a bearing material and has largely replaced Delrin. It has the second lowest coefficient of friction next to Teflon. So it is the ideal traveler material, because it will not stretch and it is slippery so the traveler blocks(especially the original non ball bearing Laser traveler) will slide across as easily as possible. It also doesn't absorb water.

Beyond the traveler ,the 1st parts of the downhaul(part that goes thru the clew), outhaul(end of boom), and vang(the part you don't pull on) there is no good argument for using uncovered Dyneema on a Laser. Because it is slippery it doesn't hold knots well. Every knot on a Laser is either a bowline or figure eight, both of which slip when tied with Dyneema under load. All of the cascades should be luggage tagged with an eyesplice to the blocks and fittings.

Regular polyester line is mushy stuff in your hands and it is very hard to find prestretched polyester, which is fine for Laser type loads. Dyneema cored polyester has largely replaced prestretched polyester, so not much choice. It comes down to what diameter , "hand feel", chaff resistance of the cover, and cost.

My favorite is Liros Magic Pro for the handheld parts of the downhaul, outhaul, and vang. I prefer the Rooster mainsheet, because it resists twisting and it is semi-stiff on one's hands. Be careful tieing it to the back of the cockpit, a bowline will undue itself every time. Some people like to use uncovered Dyneema for the main sheet. I personally don't like the mushy feeling.

Easy to agree with most of what Captain says. Just to pick a nit, the new traveller block doesn't have ball bearings either.

Are splices allowed in the traveller? I don't think so.

Many people put an eye splice in one end. You tie one hitch thru the eye splice to make the triangle. This way the triangle is adjustable. I believe this is legal.

Back