Where to Launch Sunfish in Ocean Near Salisbury, MA?

Mass Fish

Greetings,

I would like to try sailing in the Atlantic and I am looking for tips and suggestions on where to launch a Sunfish near Salisbury, MA.

Thanks,

Jim

There's a boat ramp with parking just north of Plum Island Point. This will get you into the Merrimack River and put you just over a mile from where the river exits into the ocean between the two rock jetties.

However, looking at the area from Google Earth and having grown up on the ocean south of Boston, I'll bet that area can get pretty gnarly when the wind is blowing against the tide near the entrance. But the area south of the river channel and west of Plum Island looks really cool and insulated from strong tides and waves.

On days where there's a light sea breeze from the southeast and a coming tide I bet that area would have some very pleasant sailing. Inside the entrance anyway.

- Andy

Just found another boat ramp in the Hampton Harbor Inlet. Right off of River Street. It's just under 4.5 miles north of the Plum Island Point boat ramp, in New Hampshire.

This area looks nicer and more benign than the Merrimack River entrance area. And another bonus... the ramp is right across the street from Captain Don's Lobster Pound! :cool:

That area inside the Hampton Harbor Inlet looks like it would be a very cool place to explore with all the marshes, channels, sandbars and such.

And a little more searching revealed yet another boat ramp just north of the bridge inside the Hampton Harbor Inlet. Go north across the bridge, left on Harbor Road, then an immediate left again on to Ocean Blvd.

That Ocean Blvd boat ramp would be my choice out of the 3.

Cheers,

- Andy

Last edited:
What if I launch directly into open water from the beach? At the northern tip of North Beach (NH) just north of the junction of 1A and 27 there appears to be a place to launch from the beach there. I saw a guy come in with a sailing kayak here once. He had put in at the Hampton Harbor boat ramp.
1657592510779.png

What if I launch directly into open water from the beach? At the northern tip of North Beach (NH) just north of the junction of 1A and 27 there appears to be a place to launch from the beach there.
I see it. Yes, you could absolutely launch from there when the conditions are favorable. Ie, small onshore swell, the wind isn't blowing strong offshore and the tide is favorable.

You might want to investigate what direction the tide flows when it's coming in or going out in that area. It will either be flowing north or south, I don't know which. That way if you are a ways offshore and the wind dies out, you'll know in advance what direction the tide is going to take you.

- Andy

North shore representing, guy.. lol. The tides up there are bonkers from memory. I can't wait to get my fish out into open water. Have fun.

North shore representing, guy.. lol. The tides up there are bonkers from memory. I can't wait to get my fish out into open water. Have fun.
Tannermatic... from Hull, MA? Ha! I grew up in Cohasset. South shore representin'.

We used to sail my 470 from Cohasset Harbor all the way to Wollaston Beach and back when the cranking, pre-frontal small craft advisory southwest winds would arrive. Gave us high speed beam to broad reaching from outside Cohasset Harbor to Point Allerton. The sweet spot was about a mile and a half off shore. Good stuff. :D

Cheers,

- Andy

Lived in southie for a handful. Had friends on wollaston. That's my buddies shop..Matt Tanner. Does a lot of rhodes19 stuff for hull yacht club..Met him racing cb350s way back. He's a decent dude..does nice work.

Back