Where to go?

RomanSailer

I am looking for good places to haul my Sunfish and Laser for warmer water sailing along the east coast. Someplace that has good access (not member only YC's) reasonable accommodations, and friendly ambiance. Suggestions and recommendations, anyone?

I'm on the gulf coast, but I sailed a Sunfish once on Blue Mountain Lake(?) in New York and that was fun. Rented a powerboat on Lake George (also NY), and that was fun. Honeymooned on Ocracoke Island (NC?) and that was fun. River sailing can be nice too.

I am looking for good places to haul my Sunfish and Laser for warmer water sailing along the east coast. Someplace that has good access (not member only YC's) reasonable accommodations, and friendly ambiance. Suggestions and recommendations, anyone?

:oops: Does it have to be salt water?

Looking for accommodations? :)

My cottage on Lake Winnipesaukee is available for rent the last two weeks in July (only). Twin 50-foot docks in deep water—knee-deep "beach".

One other forum member has sailed here—and may be less biased than I am—about how nice it is! :)

I prefer water temperatures of 80+ degrees, but it ain't bad here by the end of July.

Ok - to be more specific; I live and sail in upstate new york, where, when the water is warm enough to survive in (70+) the wind is lite to none most of the time. So what I would like to find is a place that has 75 or better water AND decent breezes to get meaningful practice time AND I can afford to get to and stay at (ie not San Diego or Palm Beach.) Salt water is fine, fresh is fine, good company is a super bonus.

Ok - to be more specific; I live and sail in upstate new york, where, when the water is warm enough to survive in (70+) the wind is lite to none most of the time. So what I would like to find is a place that has 75 or better water AND decent breezes to get meaningful practice time AND I can afford to get to and stay at (ie not San Diego or Palm Beach.) Salt water is fine, fresh is fine, good company is a super bonus.

I would go where the other Sunfish sailors are. First off, if you are anywhere near Canandagua I'd check thm out. While they are a YC they are active in Sunfish and have open events and such. They often host the upstate NY Regionl, as they are this year. Ditto if you are near Buffalo.

Second, nd importantly, I would join he Sunfish class and get to know your Regional rep, Lee M (featured on a video in another recent thread). He will be very helpful and is very active on LI, where there is a very full schedule on GSB. If you really want to sail Sunfish, the folks in that area are extraordinarily active and friendly. Many of us have experienced extraordinary hospitality when Sunfishing here, including occasional lodging. I've gone to numerous Sunfish events there and I can't recall ever paying for lodging.

GSB gets decent breeze relative to some summer venues. Lee is pretty creative and if you are serious will almost certainly point you in he right direction. If you find yourself in that vicinity on August 3rd, be sure to enter the annual World's Longest Sunfish Race around Shelter Island. Regardless of experience level - they get the gamut - it is one of those bucket-list experiences for any Sunfish sailor.

There are other good cheap sailing venues - Buzzards Bay always has wind - but if you are looking to have fun with lots of events and lots of other Sunfish Sailors at terrific, friendly clubs (that generally welcome guests) there is a lot going on on LI, especially on Great South Bay.

Back