Where to find Laser 2 bailer replacement?

MStan57

Hi folks,

I have a Laser 2 in Northwest Indiana and have enjoyed sailing it in southern Lake Michigan for decades. I'm trying to make some repairs before summer sailing really kicks up and my broken bailer is stumping me.

It's an IYE Super Shute 90 bailer and I can't find it available for purchase anywhere. Does anyone have ideas of how to repair or replace what I currently have? The issue is that the front of the bailer (which is meant to stay flush with the hull) has broken so now when sailing instead of draining water in the cockpit, the bailer sucks water into the cockpit as the boat propels forward.

Thank you very much!

The Super Shute 90 hasn't been in production for a long time. Looks like the only place that carries it is this one in North Wales: IYE Super Shute 90 Self Bailer - Internal
If that doesn't work out, you need to go for the Andersen Super Max, which is what all newer Laser 2s have. The problem is that it's a few millimetres smaller in both directions, so you need to fill the existing screw holes and make the opening smaller.

I don't know if it's possible to repair the existing bailer without seeing the extent of the damage.

_

Last edited:
LaLi - thank you so much for your wisdom and quick reply! I'll look into the online shop in North Wales.

I'm attaching pictures inline which document the issue. Long story short - several years ago, we were out sailing and the bailer was jammed up (likely with sand). Being the dumbies we are, we got a rock and whacked the bailer with decent force. Naturally, the bailer became unjammed and opened up, but unfortunately it opened from the front (we broke whatever holds the front of the bailer to the rest of the hardware).

Curious if you have any repair ideas based on this description and images.

How it should work:
how it should work.jpg
How it's broken:
where the connection in front of bailer is broken.jpg
Other views:
another view.jpg
view from the top.jpg
one more for good measure.jpg

I'm still not quite sure how the chute (the moving part) hinges at the front, but it looks like yours has broken off a tiny flange which you can see in these pictures of the same part of the SS 60:
43540_1__11887.1612891876.png
24082-3__02198.1612891876.JPG

Probably not worth fixing the old bailer. It's missing the non-return flap, too.

_

Thanks for those thoughts - will let you know it all turns out. Stay tuned!
my thought was to go to a smaller bailer, then make an alum or stainless adapter plate to mount the new smaller bailer in. then mount the plate and assembly in the existing hole.
any machine shop could carve you one from aluminum. or fill the hole and install a different one in another spot. my cockpit fills with water pretty effectively. :)

Alternatively, as I look after our club dinghies including Toppers, and they got damaged when bringing the ashore with the bailer down, I have used a brass hinge to repair them

I see the parts for the 60 but not the 90. You got linky for that gasket kit? I'm looking for the one that seals between the chute and the body that's held in by the 10 or so small brass screws. Mines dry rotted and scored up from particulate. A new 90 chute would kick ass too.

I stopped looking for parts and spent this morning working with solidworks to draw some up. I made the larger plate thicker, since my original was mostly damaged at the screw holes. I'm printing now and will let you know the results (fitment of the shute) later. If someone wants the solidworks or stl files just pm me.

Attachments

• bailer1.jpg
    bailer1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 111
  • bailer2.jpg
    bailer2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 3dprinting-bailer1.jpg
    3dprinting-bailer1.jpg
    890.2 KB · Views: 122
I stopped looking for parts and spent this morning working with solidworks to draw some up. I made the larger plate thicker, since my original was mostly damaged at the screw holes. I'm printing now and will let you know the results (fitment of the shute) later. If someone wants the solidworks or stl files just pm me.
@proto1 - I'm interested in the solidworks/stl files. Thank you very much! How did it turn out?

@MStan57 Did you order and receive the bailer from Whales? I need to replace mine as well.https://www.yachtshop.co.uk/2282/products/iye-super-shute-90-self-bailer--internal.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
I am running a race team near Ottawa and one of our C420 is equipped with a Super Shute 90 bailer. We are going to a regatta early September and naturally, the bailer just failed.

We are very keen on getting our hands on a replacement. The 3d printed option seems the most cost effective as we can salvage the gaskets. Any way we can get our hands on your STL files?

Guillaume Godbout
GRYC Youth Program Director
youthprogram_at_gryc.ca

Hi Guillaume
I received your email and have sent you the files.
Note that I am using a thicker (1/8") gasket and have designed the part to still be flush with the hull.
The thicker gasket compressed will provide a better seal.

Hi proto1!
Would you consider sending me STL files as well. Alternatively, perhaps posting them somewhere where we can download & pay you for using them? A friend bought a Laser II, some other "friends" dragged it with the bailer open, and you can visualise the rest. Here I am. Warmest regards, Andrew Simpson. [email protected]

You can find Laser 2 bailer replacement parts at most marine supply stores. You may also be able to find them online at sites like Amazon or eBay.

You can find Laser 2 bailer replacement parts at most marine supply stores. You may also be able to find them online at sites like Amazon or eBay.
That's largely true, but the early (earlier?) boats used the now long discontinued Super Shute S90 bailer which has been scoured off the market. No matter: the 3D printed version designed by Proto1 is excellent and serviceable.

Hello hello.
I am actually trying to keep 2 boats afloat that use the Super Shute 90. One is a standard (but old) Laser 2, the other is an Escape Expedition 14.5 which features the Laser 2 hull under a Hoyt boom rig - made in small numbers around 1997-1998. Finding replacements or parts for these bailers has been very tough.
Proto1 I appreciate your work on this and would you be so kind as to send the 3D printing files? Please and thank you.
[email protected]

Thank you Roman, Andrew.
I am going to put my eldest son onto this 3D printing effort when he comes home from college for the holidays. With any luck, we'll be set up for much sailing by next summer.

Hi folks,

I have a Laser 2 in Northwest Indiana and have enjoyed sailing it in southern Lake Michigan for decades. I'm trying to make some repairs before summer sailing really kicks up and my broken bailer is stumping me.

It's an IYE Super Shute 90 bailer and I can't find it available for purchase anywhere. Does anyone have ideas of how to repair or replace what I currently have? The issue is that the front of the bailer (which is meant to stay flush with the hull) has broken so now when sailing instead of draining water in the cockpit, the bailer sucks water into the cockpit as the boat propels forward.

Thank you very much!
We have just one new IYE Super Shute 90 at our store. Has a few minor scuffs and dust from display, but otherwise good to go. [email protected]

Back