Where to find a shorter Tiller

OK, so I finally bought a sunfish after 5-10 years of wishing/wanting. What a blast I've had so far cept that I don't care for the raised edges on the cockpit and the tiller is too long such that when I want to sit on the back center of cockpit there is not enough room for my butt and the tiller. Seems I need a tiller about 6-12 inches shorter than what I have.

I realize the design is such that your supposed to sit off to one side while sailing, but I find it difficult to sit off to one side when the wind is not blowing hard or if the wind is not constant. It was a constant balancing act to sit on one side of the boat and perhaps I'm just a newbie and probably need to sit up closer to the daggerboard anyhow. My butt hurts from trying to sit on the edge of the cockpit.

Any thoughts on obtaining a shorter tiller or any general tips to help with my conundrum would be greatly appreciated.

I take it you have and older sunfish with aluminum trim. You might want to look into padded sailing pants. You also want to be sitting with your legs at the front of the cockpit. It does take time to learn and lighter air takes getting use to. Sitting at the back is not a good idea unless you are reaching over at 15 mph trying to keep the bow out of the water.

You can always just cut the tiller you have a little shorter and re-attach the tiller extension.

A Minifish tiller is about 9" shorter than the standard Sunfish tiller - same hardware. I have one for sale at $30 + shipping. Reply if you are interered.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I've often thought about cutting one shorter to have as my tiller for sailing with passengers - then I can sit further back like Texoma wants to do, and let the kids sit up towards the front of the cockpit. And then keep a normal length tiller for sailing solo.

Downwind in light air a shorter tiller would be more comfortable.

If you are handy go to Home Depot and get a piece of oak 1"x3"x4'. You can make 2 tillers out of this.

Yes, you can make a tiller to your specs, or cut down the one you have and add an extension (if you don't already have one). I made a shorter tiller for Laser #2069 to give me a bit more room when friends were aboard, kept the longer original tiller as well for hard solo sailing. You can use various hardwoods for this task: oak, ash, mahogany, any wood strong enough to withstand the stress & abuse, LOL. Some nice varnish will make the tiller look like a million bucks, aye? I agree with you about the Sunfish cockpit, that's why I bought a Minifish later in life, its deck plan more closely resembled the Laser and it had no raised coaming to interfere with sliding around on deck while under way. :confused:

You can make the tiller whatever length suits you and your sailing. If you can post a picture we might be able to tell if it is a stock tiller.

Does you tiller have an extension? If not, you might add one at a later date.

We have different tiller/rudder setups for different moods and different wind conditions.
-One tiller design we like is actually like you have, we made a longer tiller so we didn't need an extension, Skipper can sit towards the back and hook the tiller under her leg. I reaches almost to the back of the cockpit. On a ghosting day I can recline in the cockpit with feet up and my PFD is puffy enough to hold the end of the tiller straight. Lean left or right to steer the boat.

IMG_5907.jpg

Seems we have 2 of those.

IMG_5908.jpg

-Another tiller comes to about 3 inches behind the cockpit and has tiller extension on a universal joint. It is good for heavy wind days where we will hike a bit, and also for light wind days I can sit in the cockpit with the extension over my shoulder.

IMG_5909.jpg

-Then we have the older type tillers with the "paint stirrers" on the end, bolted. They are okay, suitable for hiking out a little, and sometimes I can wedge them under my arm if I am in Recliner Mode.

Audrey Zip gen 2 rudder Lagniappe Beach.jpg

Wood hockey sticks make great tillers. It’s pretty cheap to buy a new kids sized one and cut it down to size.

Reactions: tag
I found that on times with light wind, I can sit on the front edge of the cockpit and face backwards and sail while looking where I've been. You need that extension though. Then I edge around as the wind picks up. The Old Fish in Wisconsin is getting a new tiller next year. Rudder and aluminum cheeks are all good though. Your butt will get used to it if you sail regularly.

Does anyone out there know if anyone makes a telescoping tiller to fit this size system? Similar to what we found on the Catfish, actually our buddy Scott found it and pointed it out to us. Maybe there is a market for it, it would solve our variety of tiller tastes that are tied to the types of tempest.

The tiller in the video is retracted, it comes out almost 2 feet.

Found a video, thought I had it!

Last edited:

Back