Where to buy Lasers in North America?

JuliettVictor

Hi there,

I am trying to find the right place to buy class-legal Lasers in North America (I am located in Canada, but US is okay too). I am just reading up on the whole LaserPerformance saga and cannot quite figure out whether it's still possible and recommended to buy boats from them.

In terms of dealers, I found Lasers at westcoastsailing and laser-istore.com. However, they have vastly different prices - 7k vs 5.5k - which makes me a bit suspicious.

Any hot tips?

Cheers
J

Class-legal today means that new equipment is sold under the ”ILCA” label. Don’t touch anything new if it’s only named ”Laser”. That means you can forget laser-istore, among others. While LP-built ”Lasers” are marketed, they aren’t legal.

West Coast Sailing is selling new Ovington-built boats, and Fogh Marine in Toronto PSAs, but both seem to be out of stock at this writing. If I were you, I’d contact them and ask what the deal is.

There are four more new active builders, but it remains yet to be seen how their dealer networks develop.

_

Yes, just confirming what LaLi wrote.
Lasers that you would buy from LP these days would not be ILCA legal. Is this a big deal? For most the answer would be YES.
But if you are going to sail such an LP Laser just by yourself (no organized racing) and intend to keep the boat 'forever', it would be a different story.
In my opinion, buying an ILCA legal boat is the better investment, by far.

PS: Check the For Sale section on this Forum. Boats offered range from 'almost new' to 'vintage'.

Hi there,

I am trying to find the right place to buy class-legal Lasers in North America (I am located in Canada, but US is okay too). I am just reading up on the whole LaserPerformance saga and cannot quite figure out whether it's still possible and recommended to buy boats from them.

In terms of dealers, I found Lasers at westcoastsailing and laser-istore.com. However, they have vastly different prices - 7k vs 5.5k - which makes me a bit suspicious.

Any hot tips?

Cheers
J

At West Coast they had some non-class legal LPE "Lasers" at the $5.5 price. The "ILCA's are starting in the $7.5 range. ZIM is a new ILCA dealer and there's more coming on line.

Back