Where should I buy new standing rigging

Jim Wellman

I checked with Catalina and they told me new shrouds were $46 each! Does anyone know a good source? I don't have anyone locally.

I think the price may be for the set. I replaced mine earlier this summer and paid about $46 for the shrouds and about $20 for the forestay. That was through Catalina.

Ordering from Catalina

Rudy, how long did it take Catalina to get your order out?

I ordered new rigging and a maststep from them in 2000 and it took them about a month from when I faxed my order to them before it was ever shipped. So total time from order to receipt was about 5 weeks. The cost for the 2 new shrouds, forestay, and maststep, plus shipping was less than $100 3 years ago. BTW. If one of your shrouds ever breaks, be ready to have to purchase a new maststep as well. Unless your "lucky" like I was when my port shroud went in 2000, you can expect to have to make repairs to your deck too.

Playing it safe

Thanks for the info. I will contact Catalina again today and double check on the price.

I bought this 1990 model and I'm guessing just from the boat's history that the standing rigging is original. The shrouds "look" okay but it seems like very cheap insurance to replace them.

replacing shrouds

Jim, they looked OK on my 1993 I bought in 2000 too. The shroud snaped about an 1/8 of an inch inside one of the crimps. It would have required xray vision to see it coming apart. I plan to replace my shrouds every five years. It is a small price to pay for insurance.

I checked my invoice and I placed the order on 6/19 (by phone), they shipped on 6/25 and I probably received them around 6/29, so maybe 10 days total.

Rudy, that was a reasonable amount of time. My order was faxed in in the middle of August, 2000 and it was later in September when I received it from them. Hopefully, your experience is the norm and mine was just bad timing.

Shroud price

I emailed with Catalina again today and got the price for a pair of shrouds straightened out. The price is $46.20 as someone said earlier.

Thanks for everyone's help. By the way, they said it might take 3 days to ship so we'll see!

shrouds

In case anyone is interested, the stainless steel plastic coated wire rope cable that the shrouds are made of usually costs less than a buck a foot and the crimps and thimbles used in the ends are less than a buck a piece. All you need is a crimper and you can make up your own shrouds, penants, luff wires, etc. The crimpers aren't that expensive and you may know someone who already has one. I recently had a penant break and have decided to replace all the cabling.

shrouds

Do the new Shrouds and stays from Catalina come with all the hardware so you just attach them? I am a novice with an Omega 14 [the predecessor to the Capri 14.2. Going back 3 owners no one can remember changing the rigging.

Omega 14

Do the new Shrouds and stays from Catalina come with all the hardware so you just attach them? I am a novice with an Omega 14 [the predecessor to the Capri 14.2. Going back 3 owners no one can remember changing the rigging.

I just replaced the shrouds on my Omega 14, bought all the parts at the local hardware store and was into it less than $30. Definately need to periodically check them. Mine broke when I had a guest on my boat 3 miles from shore - rude awaking on an otherwise great trip. Live and learn...

BTW, if you do make your own, get some shrink tubing that will fit over the crimps, slip it on before crimping.

Leave several inches of cable past the thimble on the open end so that it is easier to pull the cable tight over the thimbles. After you crimp the cable to the thimble, then crimp the free end, (or double crimp the thimble) then cut the extra cable on the free end. To cut the cable neatly, I used a diamond cutoff blade on a dremel tool.

I also decided to put a turnbuckle on one side so that I can adjust the tension of the shroud, anyone have an opinion on doing this, or an alternative to doing it?

Mike

Re: shrouds

chrisitent said:

Yes, Christitent, Catalina supplies them with all the hardware already installed. The only trick is to look carefully when you remove the old shrouds from the spreaders, as you will need to wire them back on with the stainless steel wire that Catalina supplies with the rigging. You will need to supply your own rigging tape for covering those connections. Or at least that is the way I had to do it. Also,I put a little Marine Goop glue on the screw heads where they turn against the upper shroud attachment points, so they won't come loose on their own.
Overall, it was an easy job when I did mine a few weeks ago. Dick

Back