Where is the best place to buy sails?

scotty3

I'm not a racer (yet), but i may try it one day if i got the chance. What sail would you reccomend. Im not a total noob, i can sail a 16' catemeran by myself. Thanks, scotty

The best place to buy sails is from one of the vendors that support the board.:)

A simple question, but not really a simple answer.

If you are not racing, I would say buy one from Intensity Sails. Should be a link somewhere on this website. It will cost you about $200.

Now when you start racing, that's when it gets complicated. The class rules say you are SUPPOSED to use a "builder supplied" sail. That mean you can only get one from your local Laser dealer. Cost is around $600.

If you are curious about the cost difference, there are many, many threads in the Class Politics section. For most club-level sailing, due to the cost difference most people aren't too particular about where you bought your sail.

That mean you can only get one from your local Laser dealer. Cost is around $600.

Yeah, I was doing my best to stay out of the politics :) but APS in the banner area handles both, as well as others I'm sure. So everything from 150 to 600 bux is represented by our sponsors, who are great folks... :)

I don't have a 'local' laser dealer, so am totally dependent on folks that roll the above mentioned banners.

I would recommend a sail from Intensity Sails. Really no different from the class legal sail if the example I received is typical. For me, I need to get some hours on the boat and it would be crazy to trash the class legal sail. Their sail is under $200 and the class legal sail is over $500. Perhaps wait to buy a class sail until your ready to sail class events?

In the USA, both Intensity Sails and APS have excellent practice sails for less than 1/2 the cost of a new class sail.

Back