Where in the world is...Ross Bennett

Rob B

I'm guessing he's doing kiel now and out of contact internet wise. I was hoping for some daily reports. Anybody hear anything?

I'm guessing he's doing kiel now and out of contact internet wise. I was hoping for some daily reports. Anybody hear anything?

yes, reports would be nice. he is in a highly competitive fleet, with names you'll recognize as 2008 Olympic team members. he'll need all of his experience and training to remain focused. it's gotta be a great regatta. the website is awesome so i assume the same for racing and on-site activities.
let's hope he checks in with stories and pics.
good luck, Ross

It appears day 2 wasn't any better: -http://www.kielerwoche.de/onlineergebnisse/result_details.php?results=2008-06-26_Laser_Wettfahrt_4_Extra.xml

Mind you these look like the results of somone who entered but couldn't sail - hope he is OK after all that effort!

(Edit couldn't sail as in was unable to participate rather than lack of ability)

Can you imagine being on the line with Tom Slingsby on your weather hip! Actually, I think I'd just let him roll me so I could watch his technique untill he sailed out of sight and then I try to go the same direction hoping to beat some folks. Looks like they are split into 3 fleets right now. Finishing back in the pack is hard to take, but hopefully you can turn those 51's into high 40's before the event is over with. I think this is only the second "real" laser regatta he has sailed in the past year or two and I'm sure there are not too many cream puffs in this crowd! At the very least I'd try to get some face time with top guys or look at their set ups. Hopefully he's doing this and will fill us in.

Just checked the results again. Looks like he may not be sailing. I hope it's not an injury or travel issues. If he did sail the first day I really hope he did not let the finishes get him down to the point of quitting. Let's hope he's still sailing and just soaking it all in.

Just checked the results again. Looks like he may not be sailing.

The 53 in races 3, 4, and 5 sure seem to be some kind of DNS/DNF score. There area lot of them scattered through the fleet (esp. in race 4); maybe the weather was bad and people retired. I'm not sure about the 51 in the first two races; there are higher scores, but I also notice at least one other sailor with a 51 in race 1. That would seem to indicate it's also a "special case" score.

I wish the results would indicate things like DNS, DNF, and DSQ.

It got a little strong in the AM and early PM. I know he was worried about breeze several months ago. He should be ok at 169 lbs as long as he can hike by his toes and extend well. Unless he trained hard in the gym that type of hiking is, well, olympic class when it's needed for extended periods over a long day.

I tried and failed to post the link but if you go to the pdf download on the Kiel site it gives more detail on the results. Ross is scored as 51 on both Race 1 & 2 (Day1?) but DNC races 3 - 6. Lets hope it is nothing serious!

Not quite - the fleet has been split into Gold/Silver/Bronze - the results on the page show the Gold and Silver, but if you download/open the PDF, you'll see results for all...

The results indicate that Ross only competed in races 1 and 2 and dropped out from races 3-7. I hope she didn`t injure herself. I imagine we`ll be able to hear from her soon

So here's a question. You're in Europe for the first time and set up for a regatta. After the first day you're DFL with little hope of improvement. Do you:

A) Keep sailing and wallow in misery because you're not a "quitter".
B) Call it a day and go on a German beer tasting binge.
c) Call it a day and offer support to the cute radial sailors. (assuming you're a guy)

For me at my age, if I saw no room for imrpovment on the race course I would seriously consider a pub crawl.

Options B and C would sound great for a weekend warrior (like I am) or somebody who just sails as a hobby, but I really doubt that anybody who wants to someday become a top level sailor would/should choose these options. Rather than "sailing and wallow in misery because you`re not a quitter" I`d say to continue sailing demostrates somebody who is very resiliant.

So here's a question. You're in Europe for the first time and set up for a regatta. After the first day you're DFL with little hope of improvement. Do you:

A) Keep sailing and wallow in misery because you're not a "quitter".
B) Call it a day and go on a German beer tasting binge.
c) Call it a day and offer support to the cute radial sailors. (assuming you're a guy)

For me at my age, if I saw no room for imrpovment on the race course I would seriously consider a pub crawl.

I would choose a variant of A:

Keep sailing, because boat plus water equals sailing. It's what we do. Thus staying happy. (No misery required :D )

and a variant of C and B:

Get in an hour before the rest of the fleet, scoop up some Radial girls and take them on a beer trail. ( but only if I were single, otherwise it's drinking beer with wife. ;) )

Just got in town with my German relatives. I'll try and write my regatta report tomorrow, which will be in my usual section. Thanks.

Es ist der junge Kapitän! Wir erwarten Wort Ihres Reisens, jungen Mannes. Wie ist das Wasser? Wie ist das Bier? Die hübschen Damen?

Es ist der junge Kapitän! Wir erwarten Wort Ihres Reisens, jungen Mannes. Wie ist das Wasser? Wie ist das Bier? Die hübschen Damen?

For people who dont speak german
It is a young captain! We expect word of her travel, young man. How is the water? How is the beer? The pretty ladies?

It's probably difficult to discuss seeing all the effort put into getting there and for whatever reason not sailing. I'm sure he'll share when he's ready.

Back