where can I learn racing in Toronto

There's several excellent options, most major yacht clubs will have laser and dinghy programs. Try PCYC, RCYC, ABYC, LSYC, MCC, EYC.

Then try the Cherry Beach area, there's several dinghy (only) clubs that have good training and keen racing events, not to mention great social gatherings.

If you are further east (Scarborough) Try at the Bluffer's Park there's a couple of clubs there too.

In the west end, you also have the Hamilton area which is active also.

You are definitively in a good area for good sailing.

Have fun.

G

I took the sail program out of the Boulevard Club years ago, took White Sail 1,2,3 there years ago.
I know my parents learned at Toronto Island sailing club.
Just google it and you'll find a great club.

does anyone know where are the laser fleets in Toronto and which club has a good race training program?
Much thanks

Dunno about "race training" in T.O. anymore (grew up there, moved away long ago). For sure there will be many, so if really just starting best bet is probably to pick something easy to get to ... so you will show up.

But, best race training above the very few basic few rules to know, and some boat-handling, is to GO RACING, lots. As a friend of mine at our club (LDSC.ca) says: "The secret of success: Show up." ;-)

For sure check out Water Rats (http://www.waterrats.ca/)! Dunno if they have a formal race training thing or not, but they are very open and involved. Also a volunteer-run club, so both lower cost and high participation and learning. And those dudes are faaaaaaast! Hey, how can you go wrong with a club that hosts "Spring War" ?!

-- peter

If you have a boat, you can join Water Rats where there is plenty of racing but not much training. If you join a community club in the Outer Harbour, you can get training and racing, and a boat to use if you don't have one yourself. Try St. James Town Sailing Club. They sail Lasers and Albacores and have race training for free every Monday night. I am a member of both Rats and J Town. If you need more information email me at [email protected]

Back