Class Politics When it comes to democracy shouldn't it all be the same?

tcwings20

Our country, as many where, was founded on the beliefs of democracy and (remember the pledge of allegiance) justice for all. Yet it seems that this Olympic class has different views. For years now people have trudged on with this same terrible Laser sail. Now of course they haven't used the same one, no, that would defeat the purpose, they simple buy one after another after another after another. Obviously someone at Laser Performance has heard our wants and needs yet nothing happens, I understand the fact that this sail is the major money maker for Laser Performance, but even so numbers are dropping this sport is becoming increasingly expensive. Most of those kids that come and sail Lasers at sailing camp will never sail another one out of camp in any sort of race. The price of being competitive is to much for most people and even if your skills are a little bit better than the guy in front hes up there with a new sail, your still using the one that came with your boat. I'm not one of the people that buys a new sail every regatta but I wish I could get one once a year or even every two years but As for now I'm not going to spend money on something I believe could be cheaper and better built (Intensity sails hold up for years with the same performance) simply to throw a dying sail one small bit further. The Laser needs help and if Laser Performance would team up with Intensity (or a sail maker of similar quality) they would increase members, profit and overall class happiness. Money is not what should make sailing a competitive sport but love for the sport should. This is one mans opinion, but one classes opinion can carry the strength and power to change a sail.

Change comes slowly in LaserWorld but check out Clay Johnson's account of trying out the the new Laser sail and top section at http://www.claysails.com/node/392. Sounds like what we need is on the way, even if we might need to make our old sails last until 2013 before we can buy the new ones!

Our country, as many where, was founded on the beliefs of democracy and (remember the pledge of allegiance) justice for all. Yet it seems that this Olympic class has different views. For years now people have trudged on with this same terrible Laser sail. Now of course they haven't used the same one, no, that would defeat the purpose, they simple buy one after another after another after another. Obviously someone at Laser Performance has heard our wants and needs yet nothing happens, I understand the fact that this sail is the major money maker for Laser Performance, but even so numbers are dropping this sport is becoming increasingly expensive. Most of those kids that come and sail Lasers at sailing camp will never sail another one out of camp in any sort of race. The price of being competitive is to much for most people and even if your skills are a little bit better than the guy in front hes up there with a new sail, your still using the one that came with your boat. I'm not one of the people that buys a new sail every regatta but I wish I could get one once a year or even every two years but As for now I'm not going to spend money on something I believe could be cheaper and better built (Intensity sails hold up for years with the same performance) simply to throw a dying sail one small bit further. The Laser needs help and if Laser Performance would team up with Intensity (or a sail maker of similar quality) they would increase members, profit and overall class happiness. Money is not what should make sailing a competitive sport but love for the sport should. This is one mans opinion, but one classes opinion can carry the strength and power to change a sail.

This has been beaten to death in prev threads, but to recap...
It makes ZERO difference which sailmakers the builders (LP and PSA) choose to make the sail, it will still be priced at whatever the builders decide to charge. Ditto for the longevity of the sail - that is controlled by the the specs of the sail, which although we class members can beg,plead, and even vote for a change, ultimately it's out of our hands as to if and when we get a better sail. The builders again have a say (too large a say IMHO) in that, as does ISAF.

The other part of your post about "Our country/democracy" etc, IMHO don't apply to the sail issue. The class is worldwide in scope, the builders are in it to make a profit and hate to point it out, but sailboat racing as a sport is always going to seem costly when compared to other sports with less equipment requirements..

Change comes slowly in LaserWorld but check out Clay Johnson's account of trying out the the new Laser sail and top section at http://www.claysails.com/node/392. Sounds like what we need is on the way, even if we might need to make our old sails last until 2013 before we can buy the new ones!
Will the class vote on this new sail (obviously itll be a yes) or will this just go into action? And how much will it cost, yes its more durable but does that just mean they will charge more for it?

Will the class vote on this new sail (obviously itll be a yes) or will this just go into action? And how much will it cost, yes its more durable but does that just mean they will charge more for it?

There will be no vote for it (just like all other new sails that have come out) and who knows the other answer.

Back