What's your Laser called?

Alysum

I'm getting my first Laser soon and I'm struggling to find a good name for it! So I thought I'd like to hear what you have called yours just to get some ideas...! :)

Mine is a laser 2, so I called it 'Laser on Steroids'. :D

Just think of a name that means something to you - it could be a song, a band, a movie etc or something that is appropriate to sailing.

Alysum said:
I'm getting my first Laser soon and I'm struggling to find a good name for it! So I thought I'd like to hear what you have called yours just to get some ideas...! :)

Mine's Merrily, of course. Life is but a dream.

I had a little bit of dyslexia when I read your screen name and thought it was Asylum at first. Sounds like a good Laser name to me!

Mine is Hollyfeld (or Lazlo Hollyfeld for full) after the Lazlo Hollyfeld in the movie Real Genius. It's not officially titled or anything on the boat... It's just it's name.

Cheers,
Here my initial list of names I'm thinking of picking one:

Mistral (french wind as I'm french)
Le grand bleu
irukandji
blue bayou
blue muse
calliope
thalia
oceanus
echo
arion
calyce
Difficult job chosing one isn't it! Greek name sound good...

Mine is Barrrabas, after the guy that the crowd set free instead of jesus... it signifies that my boat (#1769) should have been crucified... instead it was worked over, repainted and forgiven...

When you buy them they come pre-named. Unfortunately they seem pretty unoriginal names things like 185678 or 174967. But then changing a boat's name is considered unlucky by some (though I don't know where that tradition came from).
Ian

Deimos said:
When you buy them they come pre-named. Unfortunately they seem pretty unoriginal names things like 185678 or 174967. But then changing a boat's name is considered unlucky by some (though I don't know where that tradition came from).
Ian

How could a name like Merrily be unlucky??????? :D

If it already has a name and you must rename it, here is the correct procedure in order to not annoy the gods... There is some investment in booze involved.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

I'm leaning towards 'Savannah,' as it is a '96 Olympic graphics boat. Also trying to find the Salish or Blackfeet name for Flathead Lake.

It's too bad more Lasers aren't named - they're sometimes treated as just another piece of racing equipment, rather than a boat. All our little tubs were named when I was a kid, including the El Toro - which was called 'El Turtle.' My son wants to name his wooden Opti 'Pearl.'

my current boat is "Salome' " (another biblical reference) after the temptress who had her suitor cut off John the Baptists head and serve it to her on a silver platter

Back