what's the coolest--'CLEW DOWNHAUL' gizmo??

seamonkey

I've been outa lasering for awhile,,but am setting up a boat.......so I'm wondering what people have developed for clew downhauls?
Criteria..........1-holds clew very tight to boom,so as to maximize leach tightening ability........2--slides easily for adjustment,while under load..........3-..reliable (will not let go),,,,,,,,,,,but 4-easy to release quickly
are there rollerclew-tie gizmo's out there now?? :eek: .............................thanks :D

seamonkey said:
I've been outa lasering for awhile,,but am setting up a boat.......so I'm wondering what people have developed for clew downhauls?
Criteria..........1-holds clew very tight to boom,so as to maximize leach tightening ability........2--slides easily for adjustment,while under load..........3-..reliable (will not let go),,,,,,,,,,,but 4-easy to release quickly
are there rollerclew-tie gizmo's out there now?? :eek: .............................thanks :D

have a look at this link

http://www.roostersailing.com/merch...&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=lcs&Category_Code=

hope this helps

I manufacture these clew straps myself out of spectra webbing allowing them to slide very easily on the boom. After research, I decided to use the rectangle buckle rather than the round ring that others use because it allows for a lower profile on the boom. I have been using my design for about a half year and I like how it slides on the boom, the simplicity of attaching and detaching it and how tight it can keep the sail on the boom. Mine have been used in winds up to 30 knots without failure and without stretching.

I sell mine for $15, which includes shipping. If you would like to buy one, send an e-mail to activator22 [at] att.net

Attachments

• Clew Strap.JPG
    Clew Strap.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Clew Strap 1.JPG
    Clew Strap 1.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 129
seamonkey said:
has anyone tried these?

Yes, it works very well and meets all your criteria. Holds well, slides well, and releases when you pull on the velcro. It's sometimes a little tough attaching the sail to it in 15+ knot winds, but maybe that's just me. It would probably be tough to tie a line through the cringle in the clew and around the boom in higher winds, as well.

Janet

has anyone developed a 'rollerball' clewdownhaul yet?--is there something that would make this illegal?---just need to find some tough little beads with a 3mm hole in them!
I was last lasering about when the new rules came in,,but thought this approach would be fairly OBVIOUS!!--I suppose this approach is too SIMPLE for there to be any commercial interest in developing it,,,,but has anyone seen this approach yet?

Greg, I really like the looks of that. Now does the strap itself pass through the sail grommet or do you attach it somehow to a clip that then attaches to the strap. Maybe a close up picture of it all rigged would help. I've been looking to purchase a Rooster clew tie down strap but you might easily have a buyer here.

seamonkey said:
has anyone developed a 'rollerball' clewdownhaul yet?--is there something that would make this illegal?---just need to find some tough little beads with a 3mm hole in them!
I was last lasering about when the new rules came in,,but thought this approach would be fairly OBVIOUS!!--I suppose this approach is too SIMPLE for there to be any commercial interest in developing it,,,,but has anyone seen this approach yet?

DrLaser has a "clew tie down" with three ball stoppers and plastic tubing in between them. If you have the password you can look it up here
http://www.drlaser.org/frm/plfMACf.html
I have never seen this one in use... I have seen many people using a whole row of beads, and I have used this myself as well. It works pretty well and is a cheap sollution. Still, with vang tension I find it hard to tighten the outhaul, but I guess that will be a problem with any system, since you actually have to pull down the sail (and bend the mast) with the outhaul. :eek:

I think the best is this one: The JC-tiedown
http://www.drlaser.org/ILCA/images/JC-tiedown.jpg

but also very cool is the one from TLF-wabbit:
http://www.laserforum.org/showpost.php?p=5820&postcount=24

The last quoted reply from wabbit is from the same thread (at TLF politics-section) where a discription from drLaser to the JC-tiedown is. And it seems to me that already a member (from the US West Coast) of this Forum already testet it in Bitez and could tell us more of that JC-tidown-sleeve, or am I wrong?

Ciao
LooserLu

{Note: Be all aware, all I quotet here is under copyright to their inventors and stands under their rights. I only quote from places that already other made public at this Froum.}

LooserLu said:
I think the best is this one: The JC-tiedown
http://www.drlaser.org/ILCA/images/JC-tiedown.jpg

but also very cool is the one from TLF-wabbit:
http://www.laserforum.org/showpost.php?p=5820&postcount=24

The last quoted reply from wabbit is from the same thread (at TLF politics-section) where a discription from drLaser to the JC-tiedown is. And it seems to me that already a member (from the US West Coast) of this Forum already testet it in Bitez and could tell us more of that JC-tidown-sleeve, or am I wrong?

Ciao
LooserLu

{Note: Be all aware, all I quotet here is under copyright to their inventors and stands under their rights. I only quote from places that already other made public at this Froum.}
While the two you mention above may be the most friction free, neither are class approved for racing (and don't seem to be on the class's radar screen for approval at this time).

Neither are available for sale even if you wanted to test/trial them (you would have to make your own, and duplicating the JC sleeve may infringe on copyright laws)

IMHO, the best available choice that is currently available and approved for racing is the strap - I've tried the balls on the string tie-down and it doesn't slide any easier then the strap, and I find the strap is easier to put on and quickly release.

I've been using one of the ones made by 48111, I'll never go back to rope tie downs/McLube again.

Macwas16 - to answer your question - Normally for racing, I rig my strap thru the clew of the sail and around the boom, this allows you to get the clew as close to the boom as possible (same as you would do with the standard rope tie down).
If you are just practicing or sailing in light air and need the fastest connect/disconnect, run the strap thru the Harken Clew Hook instead of the sail , then you only have to connect/disconnect the clew fitting (the reason I don't do this for racing is the Harken clew hook lets the clew of the sail sit further up from the boom then running the strap thru the clew of the sail does)

Here's some pics of the strap on the boom - this is the one made by 48111.

You can pull the clew down tighter on the boom then what's shown in the pics, I have it setup for light air....

Attachments

• clew Strap on boom1.JPG
    clew Strap on boom1.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 208
  • clew Strap on boom21.JPG
    clew Strap on boom21.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 259

Back