What's my Laser worth?

lasergogo

Hi All,

I’m likely to be selling my Laser this spring to get a boat my wife and I can race together. I’ll miss Laser sailing, but look forward to getting my wife into the sport! I have somebody interested in my boat already, but I haven't settled on an asking price. I've researched previous posts, but would like some additional input to get a clearer idea of the boats' value. Would you be willing to share your thoughts? Here are the stats:

1996 Laser Full Rig
Sail number 158709 (not a Vanguard)
• 3 sails (newest is 2 years old, but little use the last year...others are strictly practice or club race)
• Hull is pretty stiff, but rough around the edges and especially a chipped up bow. There are spider cracks on either side of the daggerboard well on the hull, as well as on the hull where it rounds from side to bottom. From fore to aft, these are located around the front of the cockpit. Weight is unknown
• Rudder is in good shape, but daggerboard needs some work.
• Upgraded Vang, cunnigham, outhaul, plus all the older parts included
• "Gorge Proofed" so everything that can be through-bolted has been: blocks, gooseneck, vang-tang, ratchet/strap base, boom eyelets, etc
• Carbon tiller and extension
• Frederickson ratchet
• Seitech Dolly
• Collie Sails Blade Bag
• OLD deck cover
• Roadworthy trailer with spare...not a kittyhawk. The bunks need re-working.

I'm in an area where there is active fleet-building, if that will affect the price.

Thanks!
James

hey i have pretty much the same boat.(150936) and i just got a new one, i think im selling mine around 1900-2200, but that is without a dolly and trailor. i also have lots of interest so i doubt i'll have any trouble selling it, you should be ok. i'd start at 2400 and then let someone talk you down to 2300 or 2200.

don't forget about seasons too. in the late spring/summer, you'll be able to charge more than in the late fall/winter, due to availability.

With a thorough and honest description- I recommend asking $2400- and stay firm.
The trailer and dolly are bonuses- You see few of those sold separately.

JRF
Lewes, De.
District 11

depending on demand in your area, that's a $2700 package at least.

10 year old boat, 3 sails, the right stuff, trailer, dolly, blade bag. At the height of the season around here, when boats are scared, that would fetch $3000 easily I recon.

used lasers are everywhere- and reading closely, the rig needs work.
and really just one race quality sail is included.
and the seasons matter little, we race year round on the east coast.
its always a buyers market.

I thought I'd just add that you don't have to give up Laser sailing. You could always buy a Laser 2 to sail with your wife.

Back