Class Politics What's it all mean

Tentmaker
I think it's great that the NA measurers are willing to spend some of their time taking questions and providing answers, but I'm not clear what the result/impact of their answers will be.

For example would a positive answer such as "Yes, that is allowed" or a negative answer, "No, not allowed" be an official ruling ? If it is, is it just for races run in NA ?

Also, would it be possible if someone wanted to submit a question without anyone else except the measurers seeing it prior to it being answered ? (personally I wouldn't care who sees my harebrain questions, but perhaps a top Oly. contender who just figured out a way to ______ might not want everyone else to know about it)

The only measurer with any authority is the ILCA Chief Measurer. The way one becomes a District Measurer is to be appointed by the District Secretary and approved by the ILCA Chief Measurer.
One would hope that every one who calls himself measurer would have at least been appointed and approved but some of our NA Measurers have served without following the official process.
So...What does it all mean? I am willing to believe the person who wants to be called measurer has taken some extra time and effort learning the rules and probably cares a lot about those rules.
If that is the case...An answer in this forum from a person caled measurer at least means somebody else tried to figure it out. It also means that person has tried to answer your question and is willing to put a tad bit of his / her honor on the line with respect to the accuracy.

For competition? The answer means almost nothing. Perhaps it means that if you print out the answer, carry it with you, and the answer says somebody else thinks you are rigging legally and you are subsequently found to be illegally rigged....Nobody will be able to call you a lowlife scumbag cheater. The penalty for your violation will probably be minimal or nothing.

For world championships? If you have the rigging one of us thought was legal and the ILCA Measurer says it is illegal...you will have to change it before the regatta begins or be tossed.

This gets me back to my usual reply. If nobody else is doing it...DON"T DO IT!! Get your fancy rigging tips from the ILCA publications and don't try to outsmart the other 180000 owners by making a faster boat....Just practice harder and sail better

The game is...let's see who can make a Laser go fastest. The game is not...Let's see who can make the fastest Laser.

Back