What's new

What year is my sailfish?

Ralphiedc

I just bought a super sailfish and don't know the year, haven't seen any serial numbers on it but it's been raining since I picked it up this weekend. It has an elephant ear rudder, aluminum mast and spars and a rotted sunfish sail. On first glance the boat appears to be fiberglass as the top seems to be a molded cap, but the top and bottom don't come together with a flange like you see on mkII's and sunfish, and it has the older logo plates as shown in the sunfish timeline elsewhere in the forum. I will try to add a few pics when the weather improves. Any help would be appreciated.

Ralphiedc

I just bought a super sailfish and don't know the year, haven't seen any serial numbers on it but it's been raining since I picked it up this weekend. It has an elephant ear rudder, aluminum mast and spars and a rotted sunfish sail. On first glance the boat appears to be fiberglass as the top seems to be a molded cap, but the top and bottom don't come together with a flange like you see on mkII's and sunfish, and it has the older logo plates as shown in the sunfish timeline elsewhere in the forum. I will try to add a few pics when the weather improves. Any help would be appreciated.
Also the mast surround seems to be one piece with the deck.

Ralphiedc

I found a serial number on the deck plate of the rudder assembly 1222. Here are some pics of the boat.20210722_104953.jpg20210722_104922.jpg20210722_104935_HDR.jpg20210722_104851.jpg20210722_104859_HDR.jpg20210722_104806.jpg20210722_104830.jpg20210722_105020.jpg

signal charlie

Staff member
That serial number dates it to 1957, I would guess that your boat is a prototype or first attempts at fiberglass construction. We have seen a few different fiberglass hull deck combos, but not this one. The Alcort tag is 1950s vintage as well. The fiberglass Super Sailfish MKII as we commonly know it, with a hull/deck flange, was introduced in 1959 with the fiberglass Sunfish popping up in 1960.

Cool boat. let's see more photos!

signal charlie

Staff member
SUP... Sit On Top Kayak...Swim Platform...and it takes very little wind to get her going, just a whisper. Ghosting around in a light breeze is one of my favorite conditions, and an excellent time to train new crew.

Our SMall Boats Magazine article on the Sailfish: Super Sailfish - Small Boats Magazine

Last edited:

Ralphiedc

Unfortunately we were below the level of whisper, I came out of the cove I was in and caught some wind for about 300 yards and then it died, had to paddle back in. The slight wind that brought me out was enough to tell me I'll like the boat. The local lake is kind of closed in so I have to find a good laugh spot on one of the more open areas.

Ralphiedc

Dang it. Nothing of the sort to date mine.
That in itself may give you a date range, as in there were no serial numbers before X date. There is a sunfish timeline in here somewhere that goes over serial numbers that seems to apply to both sunfish and sailfish, that may help.