What would you do?

Jdog

Hi folks. I recently bought a sunfish at auction. It is in pretty good shape, no major flaws except is was missing the rudder and tiller. Old style so I knew it was pre 1971. I looked up the serial # and determined it is a 1964. The hull and topside have been painted, but other than that the boat is unmolested, no inspection ports, no major repairs. I have not weighed it but it does not feel waterlogged. There are two small drain holes on each side of the splash gaurd. I opened the drains and maybe a cup of water came out. No soft spots on hull or deck that I could detect. Looking at the stickers it was last sailed in 1991. If it were up to you would you make the conversion to a new style rudder or look for an old style? Also would you install an inspection port(s) regardless of what style rudder is used assuming the boat weighs in at less than 140 lbs? Thanks in advance for any oppinions on this.

I would look if you can find an old rudder first for a decently cheap price. If not i would install a new rudder system. The old rudders have a bad tendency to pop up in higher winds when there is some stress on the rudder. Also i would install an inspection port any way. This will allow you to see if there are any leaks and if there is any damage to the inside of the hall (such as loose foam). Also if there is a leak it lets you get to it easily to get the water out.

Sailorf2, kinda my initial thoughts too. It is a 42 yr old hull. I'd like to sail it before installing an inspection port cause if it doesn't leak or flex I'd like to keep it original. Kinda like a classic car, you really like to keep it original. On the other hand, a new style rudder and inspection port might increase its "value". If that is the case it seems to me I should go with the new style rather than spending the money on an old style. I've never sailed a fish with the old style so I don't know if it is a real pita in heavy winds which I like to sail in.

Jdog,

The old style is a PITA in heavy winds (and even not so heavy), even if you crank the wing nut down real tight. Go with the new style, install the inspection ports (you need one to install the new style rudder system anyway) and you will be happier all around. Maybe Herb can help with the new parts. The install is not hard to do. Good luck

Supercub, seems you have the same thoughts as many others. Guess I was hoping that there were some others who would disagree. Al Court has the same oppinion and he has an old style he could have sold to me. Thanks for the honest oppinion/assesment Al Court. Anyone else want to chime in?

Jdog said:
Supercub, seems you have the same thoughts as many others. Guess I was hoping that there were some others who would disagree. Al Court has the same oppinion and he has an old style he could have sold to me. Thanks for the honest oppinion/assesment Al Court. Anyone else want to chime in?

Since you asked, I agree with Supercub. It is very frustrating, if not dangerous, to have the rudderblade pop up :eek: , just when you are going at a nice clip in heavy air.

Well it looks like I have a project to work on. Might as well put the new style hardware on the stern even though I don"t have the rudder or tiller yet. Put an inspection port foward of the cocpit while I'm at it. Oh yeah the paint on the deck is chipped up so strip and see if the gell coat is still good if not re paint, dry the hull completely,etc. Reality is setting in. Gotta be a labor of love though. BTW Wavedancer its a small world, I'm in Gaithersburg also.

Back