What were these holes in my sunfish cockpit?

Debmar

In my sunfish there is a smallish (3/16 ish) hole in the front wall of the cockpit (centre) and a larger 3/4” approx hole in the rear upper port side. The large one had screw holes on either side of it. Just wondering what these might have been for at on time. Currently just a good way to let water in.

any ideas? Thanks 362F2EB8-B76F-4D36-8CFA-0CC3C5EC3DA7.jpegE495A993-0948-4680-9F70-8FAC31432EFD.jpeg

The hole in the front is the breather hole. Don't cover it.

Looks like there's been a drain plug in the other hole. Very strange location.

_

The larger hole is where a DC outlet to power a big boom box was installed.
The boom boxes fit perfectly in the cubby. Just install an 80 Watt solar panel on the aft deck between the mainsheet traveler and the cockpit to charge the gel cell mounted in back portion of the cubby.

Attachments

• 160B785A-4663-4569-87D4-EE0C4B28CE63.jpeg
    160B785A-4663-4569-87D4-EE0C4B28CE63.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 36
The hole on the forward cockpit bulkhead is indeed a vent for the pontoon hull, it needs to be open. Earlier Sunfish had a hole drilled directly through the deck Ser. No. plate. A Caution against those bulkhead holes is to not leave the drain plug in while in storage and allow the cockpit to fill with water, as once it reaches the vent hole, into the hull it goes!

The other hole had a drain plug at one point, I think moonshiners or rum runners used to fill the pontoon with spirits in order to elude "The Law." Intrepid entrepreneurs could deliver their product to customers under guise of regatta and siphon off a quart or two at a time, no extra charge for tiny bits of foam, rotted backer block slivers and rusted deck drain plug keeper chains.....you know all of those ingredients might make a good blend of whiskey...smokey wood flavor, tangy tasty of iron, foam substitutes for barley...aged 10-15 years, heated by the sun...I think that blend was named Eau de Poisson-Soleil, or Alan's Ale, Breeze Bender Bourbon, Wavedancer Whisky, Sailcraft Scotch, Beldar Bourbon, Beldar Bordeaux, Signal Sake...

Jack wet rotten backer block.JPG

hoops stern foam blob.jpg

Last edited:
In my sunfish there is a smallish (3/16 ish) hole in the front wall of the cockpit (centre) and a larger 3/4” approx hole in the rear upper port side. The large one had screw holes on either side of it. Just wondering what these might have been for at on time. Currently just a good way to let water in.

any ideas? ThanksView attachment 44740View attachment 44741
Add a cordless drill...

It's the near-side bearing for the shaft to a transom-mounted propeller.
:)

The hole on the forward cockpit bulkhead is indeed a vent for the pontoon hull, it needs to be open. Earlier Sunfish had a hole drilled directly through the deck Ser. No. plate. A Caution against those bulkhead holes is to not leave the drain plug in while in storage and allow the cockpit to fill with water, as once it reaches the vent hole, into the hull it goes!

The other hole had a drain plug at one point, I think moonshiners or rum runners used to fill the pontoon with spirits in order to elude "The Law." Intrepid entrepreneurs could deliver their product to customers under guise of regatta and siphon off a quart or two at a time, no extra charge for tiny bits of foam, rotted backer block slivers and rusted deck drain plug keeper chains.....you know all of those ingredients might make a good blend of whiskey...smokey wood flavor, tangy tasty of iron, foam substitutes for barley...aged 10-15 years, heated by the sun...I think that blend was named Eau de Poisson-Soleil, or Alan's Ale, Breeze Bender Bourbon, Wavedancer Whisky, Sailcraft Scotch, Beldar Bourbon, Beldar Bordeaux, Signal Sake...

View attachment 44754

View attachment 44755
And to power the converted pontoon/breadmaker to bake loaves of sourdough bread forward of the rudder gudgeon!!
That peel away quarter deck bread maker door is ingenious! Looks like the first loaf got burned, but keep at it!
It’s easy to get distracted by the joy of being out on a good sail.

Nothing like a Reuben on sourdough with a nice cold craft brew while underway.

Last edited:
...you know all of those ingredients might make a good blend of whiskey...smokey wood flavor, tangy tasty of iron, foam substitutes for barley...aged 10-15 years, heated by the sun...I think that blend was named Eau de Poisson-Soleil, or Alan's Ale, Breeze Bender Bourbon, Wavedancer Whisky, Sailcraft Scotch, Beldar Bourbon, Beldar Bordeaux, Signal Sake...

Love it! And don’t forget L&VWino and Cactus Tequila!

Reuben sandwiches are pretty tasty, but I'm thinking an NYC deli-style 'Hot Pastrami on Rye' wouldn't exactly suck either... I had one of those in NYC during a self-guided walkabout tour, and that sandwich was the BOMB, lol. Cold beer to wash it down didn't hurt either... ;)

I'm pretty sure that sandwich made it into one of my stories, so ya know it wasn't some poorly-made slop... those NYC delis turn out some good grub, lol. :rolleyes:

Monkey Business In Manhattan

Ironically, that line about Trump was written long before he ever became president, lol... :cool:

Back