What vang is better

Depends on what you mean by race or XD. There are 3 current flavours of Laser vang (to my knowledge).

The 'original' or 'classic' vang which is 3:1 as standard but can be upped to 8:1 by using rope loops or extra blocks.

The 2 'XD' vangs. One manufactured by Harken and one by Holt. the Harken one is more expensive and (in my opinion) is worth the extra ££ (or $$) as it does not uncleat when you don't want it to. it also has less of a tendency to twist as 2 of the pulleys are rotated at 90 degrees already.

Others on here prefer the Holt version. i had one for a while and could not get on with it. Both work and do the job but it is like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford, both work as cars but we all know which car we would rather have ;).....

I have used Harken, Holt and the 3:1 system, (just don't even think about buying that one!)
Out of the Harken and Holt, I much preferred the Holt system to the Harken one... Yes the secondary line (ie the one you pull) overlaps, in the 4:1 part of it, but if you are using a good rope, it wont fray and it wont cause any extra resistance.
The Harken one just didn't seem to be worth the extra cost...

Back