What to wear under hiking pants -- cool day.

BarePoles

I have a pair of the SEA 3/4 hikers and I often see people wearing something under their hiking pants.

Is it a wetsuit? Or something lighter? I'm looking for something to possible wear under my 3/4 hikers since my wetsuit doesn't have hiking battens.

Either a .5 or 1mm wetsuit or thermal lined bike tights are the most common. IMHO, Anything thicker then 1mm and you really loose flexibility with the SEA hikers

I would think you would want short pants under the SEA 3/4, has anyone looked at the under armor or equivilant that would work? If it is warm out, would commando under the hikers a recipe for chaffing and later pain, or should I look for a NON thermal lined bike short?

I just bought a pair of the 3/4 myself and am going to use them in Sarasota. I will see what I can find out there in the .5 - 1 mil range

Thanks

I found some SEA lycra pants that seem thin and flexible, would something like that work?

http://www.westcoastsailing.net/osC....html?osCsid=e4b696fa1ff0838afbc21441ddb49fdd

It depends on your definition of a "cool" day. (and you didn't say if you had the Airprene or regular neoprene version of the SEA hikers)

The lycra pants you link to would seem to be your standard unlined bike/running tights.

They would add minimal warmth, but make putting on and taking off the hikers very easy, and they eliminate any chafe/rash..

I would think you would want short pants under the SEA 3/4, has anyone looked at the under armor or equivilant that would work? If it is warm out, would commando under the hikers a recipe for chaffing and later pain, or should I look for a NON thermal lined bike short?

I just bought a pair of the 3/4 myself and am going to use them in Sarasota. I will see what I can find out there in the .5 - 1 mil range

Thanks

For Sarasota, you should only need unlined tights or shorts. Whether you go with tights or shorts is personal pref, I found my hikers were such a snug fit, that it was easier to get them on by wearing tights (they slip easily over lycra, not so easily over skin).

Hygiene and comfort for me <> commando

Just to clarify, by cool, I was thinking 50-60 degree days in the Fall/Winter with water temps in the 50's and, Yes, I have the airprene hiking pants.

I found some SEA Metalite pants that say they are .5mm neoprene like material that might be an option? Anyone have these?

Just to clarify, by cool, I was thinking 50-60 degree days in the Fall/Winter with water temps in the 50's and, Yes, I have the airprene hiking pants.

I found some SEA Metalite pants that say they are .5mm neoprene like material that might be an option? Anyone have these?

Yes. I had these. They were pretty warm, but too thick to wear hikers over. I've had the airprene hikers and had to buy the 3 MM 3/4 neoprene hikers for the cold stuff. Other than biking pants I did not find anything that would work under them.

That's one of the reasons I switched to the new fancy, (and expensive) Zhik system. I have the super light pant for the summer, and the medium pant for colder days. The same hiking pads are worn around your thighs in either pant. I have really loved it. It also weighs much less than traditional shoulder strap hikers.

However, you do have to go commando in these because wearing anything underneath make them slide down.

Yes. I had these. They were pretty warm, but too thick to wear hikers over. I've had the airprene hikers and had to buy the 3 MM 3/4 neoprene hikers for the cold stuff. Other than biking pants I did not find anything that would work under them.

That's one of the reasons I switched to the new fancy, (and expensive) Zhik system. I have the super light pant for the summer, and the medium pant for colder days. The same hiking pads are worn around your thighs in either pant. I have really loved it. It also weighs much less than traditional shoulder strap hikers.

However, you do have to go commando in these because wearing anything underneath make them slide down.

Thanks for the info. I have been hesitant to switch to Zhik as everything is sooo expensive. I guess you get what you pay for!

what i like to wear is a nice pair of thermal long underwear. they will keep you warm when wet and are good and thin so you dont loose any flexability

If your cold don't put lycra underneath - it will chill you even more.

I wear rooster polypro leggings in autumn under my hikers. When it gets colder I also add a raceskin. If you want shorts rooster have just brought out hot shorts (made from same material as hot tops) which should do the job but I've not tried them.

If your cold don't put lycra underneath - it will chill you even more.

I wear rooster polypro leggings in autumn under my hikers. When it gets colder I also add a raceskin. If you want shorts rooster have just brought out hot shorts (made from same material as hot tops) which should do the job but I've not tried them.

Thanks for the tips. The rooster products look like they are a heck of a good deal and seem to be right on the money. The race skin is what I was thinking about. Thanks.

Back