What to use on my hull?

sailorgirl

[color=indigo:6f8466ee13]Hi,

What type of cleaning product should I use on my hull to make it shiny and fast? I've been told not to wax it.

Thanks!
8) [/color:6f8466ee13]

Your best bet is to go to you local boat shop or go to West Marine online and see what kind of boat polish that fits your specific needs don't be afraid to ask a sales person they can be helpfull when they want to.

Also make sure that your hull is fair....smooth. If it is not you'll want to investigate the possibilities of doing this. it can be a commitment to dig into the original gelcaot but to get that glassy finish back this is the best posiblities. There are less expensive paint systems on the market that you can apply with a rollor but nothing is as good as gelcoat.

Work with the polish as much as you can and see where that takes you.
:)

this is something ive been wondering about too, but since i have a fairly new hull (1 year), ive simply been washing with a lot of soap before regattas and hosing well after every sail (salt water). i think this helps to get the salt crystals/small dirt deposits off, and for me its also psychological... mroe confidence before a regatta :D

kendall

Wax

Is using a wax such as turtle wax (car wax) to protect your boat detrimental to your speed, make the boat faster, or have no effect? We wax our Moore 24's gelcoat to protect it (no full boat cover) but i'm not sure whether or not its a good idea for lasers? Any ideas?

If it is a good idea, are there any ideal brands of wax to use/not use?

I've heard that wax can slow the boat. Something about applying a forming material. The wax can create small ridges when the friction of the water flows across it thus potentialy slowing the hulls movement in the water.

I usually use water....fresh if available. Unless you want to paint it or reapply gelcoat to get that glow back, the performance gains, I believe are
inconlusive.....other than mental. :wink:

ive heard of people using wax.... lots of debate among the people i know tho... i agree w/ kwilson tho, most performance gains (if any) are likely to be more in teh mental category. tactics, sail shape, strategy, conditioning etc are all going to make a much bigger difference in the long run.
unless, of course, your bottom is [b:b41f031816]really [/b:b41f031816]bad :wink:

uhh...yeah

you should definately have a smooth hull. if it isn't than sand it down lightly with like 800 grit or even 1000 sandpaper to get it smooth. this can also go for blades as well. then wax it with mclube. although fairly expensive, it is the best stuff on earth!! however DO NOT put mclube on your daggerboard cause if you go to stand on it and right the boat, you'll slip right off! they even make a sail lube these days too that help on those light air days.

Cleaning...

If you ever get hit by a boat or object and it makes a mark (the kind when you scrape at it with your fingenail for a while it goes away) on your hull one thing that gets rid of most of these is...

1) Take a razor blade and CAREFULLY scrape at it.
2) Wash the boat with warm soapy water.
3) Hose down the boat.

Also using car wax or cleaners works great for some people who just want a clean boat. I just use soap and water. Go to your local boat store, they always have stuff to clean.

[b:1e6b66e887]BE EXTRA CAREFUL WITH THE RAZOR BLADE. IF IT HAS NO EFFECT IN A COUPLE OR SCRAPES IT WONT WORK. YOU WILL DAMAGE YOUR BOAT IF YOU KEEP TRYING. dOnT dIg WiTh ThE bLaDe. JUST REMOVE ONLY THE LAYER OF GUNK BY OR YOU WILL RUIN YOUR HULL.

[i:1e6b66e887][u:1e6b66e887]BE CAREFUL

8) :lol: 8) :lol: [/u:1e6b66e887][/i:1e6b66e887][/b:1e6b66e887]

:D
Try teflon, west marine has a product which holds up well, and makes your laser so slick, its hard to keep it on the the trailer. Oh yeah, wet sand your hull with 600 grit paper, first, to knock of any minor inperfections on the hull.
Keep her flat!

Back