What to replace?

Dan LXIX

I picked up my first Laser last summer, and have started upgrading it bit by bit. I've already got XD outhaul and cunningham, and it currently has a standard kicker with extra blocks added. The sail is pretty tired, and I was wondering what people would recommend changing first - the sail or the kicker?

I picked up my first Laser last summer, and have started upgrading it bit by bit. I've already got XD outhaul and cunningham, and it currently has a standard kicker with extra blocks added. The sail is pretty tired, and I was wondering what people would recommend changing first - the sail or the kicker?

Since you appear to be new to Laser sailing, I would say you would get more immediate benefit from the upgraded vang/kicker than a new sail. The vang is the best part of the XD upgrades. The vang will last longer than a new sail (a LOT longer) and I thnk is a better upfront investment.

After you get some boathandling and speed skills developed (and the vang is a large part of that), then get a new sail. Depending on where you race, maybe you get get a knock-off sail and use that.

So I have a few upgrades I need including the Cunningham/outhaul and vang controls. But I have a very small budget to spend on my boat. Does anyone know where I could get the upgrades cheaper??? I don't care if they're used I just need the upgrades.

the vang is one of the best upgrades to get, you can get enough vang rigging up the old vang with more purchase, but it gets jammed really easily; The upgraded vang is easy on, easy off and the ability to fine tune the vang is well worth it.

A sail is a good choice because a new sail will hold its shape better requiring less tuning, and the draft will be in the correct position. A new sail will be faster than an old one and you'll find yourself using less cunningham.

I would say get the new vang and get used to it, then get a new sail.

So I have a few upgrades I need including the Cunningham/outhaul and vang controls. But I have a very small budget to spend on my boat. Does anyone know where I could get the upgrades cheaper??? I don't care if they're used I just need the upgrades.

Used is a great way to save, try ebay, craigslist, local classified ads, your local laser performance dealer

you can put together your own cunnigham and outhaul to save money, just make sure to get enough length and the correct diameter for the lines. If you can't afford some or all the blocks at once you can use thimbles at the turning points.

Many years ago I was informed by Deke our local master of the obvious that I needed to replace only one thing on my Laser to make it work better. He said,

"The connection between your
tiller and mainsheet is defective."

If you have the extra blocks on the standard kicker you may already have the same purchase as the XD kicker (though cleat not as easy). So how much you would gain from an easier cleat compared to a sail - unfortunately only you can tell as it is difficult to assess the sail on a forum. Also I have no experience of how easy the standard cleat is to release when it has extra blocks/purchase (I cannot even remember what how easy the standard kicker was when I had one many years ago).

XD kicker is excellent - very easy to use. But comparing it to a worn sail, well it comes down to degree (how worn a sail, etc.)

Sorry I cannot say one way or the other and both/either would be nice.

(A tired sail might be one a top helm has used in a blow for a week regatta or it might be a the sail that came with the boat and has been used continually since then).

Ian

I think my sail falls into the 'used by a club sailor for many years' category :)

I'll go for the kicker first, because I suspect I'm not a good enough sailor to make the most of a better sail yet, but I'll certainly enjoy not having the kicker jamming all the time :)

Difficult question Dan. Most people who have asked me this from my local club have gone for the upgraded kicker then got themselves a repalcement sail (not necessarily new but better than the one they had before) when they had the funds.

It is difficult when learning because the new kicker gives much better control of the sail making the boat easier to sail but and (really) old and (really) stretched sail will never set properly. if you have some friends around go out as a group and compare your sail to theirs (if theres are newer) even the untrained eye should be able to spot a difference.....

There are two main factors that make an old sail bad,

stretching and softening sail cloth,

You can tell if your sail is stretched when the draft is pushed aft past 50% and the sail appears baggy even with a tight outhaul, medium winds are the best time to check. When the draft moves aft, you will really be slow upwind and your leeway angle will be greatly increased.

You can tell if your sail is soft by the sound it makes and how it feels when you touch it, snappy and loud like a new piece of paper=crispy and stiff; flappy and quiet like cotton fabric=worn and soft; The sail will feel more like a drop cloth when it is soft and worn out, when the dacron is newer it feels stiff like a heavy piece of paper.

I'll go for the kicker first, because I suspect I'm not a good enough sailor to make the most of a better sail yet, but I'll certainly enjoy not having the kicker jamming all the time :)

This.

Upgraded vang won't make you go any faster, but it will keep you from going slower.

Back