What to look for when buying a Laser

Heeler

I’m about to buy a used laser (includes a trailer) and wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to look for/ask?

What type of sailing do you plan to do? Recreation only, teaching the kids, racing, all of the above; these are all good considerations along with the obvious budget questions. It's kinda like buying a used car, does the owner know the history of the boat, what type of conditions has it been in, any known repairs, how many bells and whistles come with it. Also, you need to do a little research by reviewing the link from Wavedancer, and if you are unsure, bring someone along that does know a thing or two about Lasers/boats to give you another opinion. Many will post the pics or show the ad on here so others can have a look, and give honest feedback. Best of Luck!

Here's a link:

There's a lot of info there, but don't hesitate posting additional questions.
Thanks! That is super helpful!
What type of sailing do you plan to do? Recreation only, teaching the kids, racing, all of the above; these are all good considerations along with the obvious budget questions. It's kinda like buying a used car, does the owner know the history of the boat, what type of conditions has it been in, any known repairs, how many bells and whistles come with it. Also, you need to do a little research by reviewing the link from Wavedancer, and if you are unsure, bring someone along that does know a thing or two about Lasers/boats to give you another opinion. Many will post the pics or show the ad on here so others can have a look, and give honest feedback. Best of Luck!
wow. Great questions. We will mainly do lake sailing, recreational. I have two kids 21 & 24. Both were on the sailing team in college so I’ll bring one of them. Great idea.
I’m beginning to think maybe a sunfish would be better...boom a little higher, possibly more room for two people or would the speed of the laser be more fun!

While the Sunfish is more family friendly, your sons appear quite experienced and would likely prefer a Laser.

The Laser can easily carry two people, and it makes for exciting solo sailing as well... I always found it more comfortable than the Sunfish with two people aboard, due to the deck layout and cockpit design. Granted, the cockpit aboard both boats is nothing more than a footbath, but the Laser cockpit just seems more comfortable to me. My Minifish was similar to my Laser in terms of deck plan & cockpit design, more so than the Sunfish, which is why I bought a Minifish after decades of Laser sailing... :rolleyes:

This is probably covered in the link provided by Wavedancer, but check the most common problem areas whenever you buy a small sailboat, regardless of class: mast step, daggerboard (or centerboard) trunk (particularly where the trunk meets the outer hull), rudder gudgeons (check for looseness), soft spots in glass (undesired, but they can be fixed), and the entire joint where hull meets deck. Inspect the spars & sail(s) too. Running rigging should be in decent shape but can always be replaced or upgraded... same goes for all marine hardware. Good luck to ya, hope ya score a sweet boat! Cheers!!! :cool:

Last edited:

Back