what to do?

Tonight I am sailing in a local club regatta and the winds are forcasted to be 20+ consistently. The problem is, I am 14 years old and weigh 140 pounds and the winds are going to be too strong. How do I depower the boat?
Thanks,
Drew

If you aren't sailing a radial sail you have a problem. even depowered the full sail will give you grief. Of course the best of the best in 49ers all capsized in 20 + winds in Quingdao....

Depowering is limited to how much belly you can take out of the sail by tightening the outhall, and cunningham if that is not enough just don't crank the sheet in as tight, you will go slower but will stay upright.....

Staying on shore would be the surest method. Barring that, lots of cunningham, outhaul, and vang. Also, lifting the centerboard helps to depower. If the water is flat you can pinch in gusts, but that will stop you in waves.

Radial or throw a couple (2 or 3) wraps of the full sail around the mast ( search the threads here on reefing )

how was it? i love sailing in big wind...although the capsizing on gybes does get old after a while.

Back