What to buy?

pete c 06029

I have done a very limited amount of small sailboat sailing. Attend a few day long class close to 20 years ago.

So, pretty much a noob. 57 years old. Looking to do some lake/coastal sailing on something I can trailer behind a car and rig in a reasonable amount of time.

Would be bringing my wife. Would like to maybe do some overnighting aboard (while anchored or grounded).

Would like something a little fun, but not so much fun that I'll go swimming regularly.

Seen a few things on local CL. Hobycat Holder 14, O'Day Daysailer II 17, O'Day 20 and 23. Various other similar boats. There is a Seafarer Challenger 23 that looks quite cool and possibly capable of heading offshore a bit on, but it is fixed keel and therefore probably not a practical trailer sailor.

Would like to hear thoughts on these or recommendations on others to look at. I am in Connecticut, in case there is someone in the area that might have something for me.

I have sailed most of the boats mentioned above. If we skip the overnight camping part, these are my impressions.

Hobie Holder 14' is a nice sailing boat, but the cockpit is tight and my wife used to bang up her legs while tacking because she was focused on not being tangled in the main sheet ratchet block. It's pretty stable for it's size, but can be knocked down if you sail fast and one person can right the boat easily. A Capri 14 has a slightly better cockpit layout.

The DS2 is a good design, but most in new England are showing their age and need centerboard cable and pivot maintenance. Price can be good, as the DS1 is 2% faster in fleet racing. All DS1 boats around us are either horribly rotten or priced like solid gold, especially if they have a tapered mast. The DS3 is the deal for a family boat, as they are frowned upon by racers. A better lake sailor than ocean sailor. I find them a little bit tender compared to what I sail and my wife yells at me every time a gust hits in a DS.

I haven't sailed the O'day 20, but the Mariner 19 sailed well for me. The CB version has a heavy cast iron weight at the bottom, so it sails a bit like a keel boat ( if the centerboard hasn't rusted and swelled.). Owners have slept in the bunk once. Nobody has ever slept in the bunk twice.

For options in the 22'~23' range I like Catalina's offerings, although I haven't sailed the big boats much.

My wife and I sail a 19' Flying Scot. The Scot is most stable sailboat without a lead keel. It's nearly impossible to knock one over, although a few have gone over in hurricane force winds. When swamped they float level to the water and must be towed to shore before bailing. Even though it's the most stable in the list, it's also the fastest by a good 15% or more. They are easily single handed, yet there is room for 4 large adults to spread out comfortably. Mine is for sale in Mass for $2500 in above average condition, but sailboats in Mass are not titled or registered, so mine's probably not an option for someone in CT unless you can find out how to register a Mass sailboat in CT. My boat has been in the Massapoag Yacht Club racing fleet since new. I would still recommend a Flying Scot and you should be able to find a clean used one like mine for around $3700 in your area. ($4200 if it has race sails less than 3 yrs old).

Attachments

• Scot.jpg
    Scot.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 53
My boat is a 1979 and has been kept in good condition and I sailed it 23 days last summer. It needs absolutely nothing and is ready to sail. I have two sets of sails that both have many hours on them, but one set is perfect and one main has a small repair. The best main has reefing ties, although I have never needed to reef the sail. I also have a brand new spinnaker in it's original bag and never used. The mast and rigging was replaced with a brand new mast in 2014. I didn't need it , but I was offered the 2014 mast at a good price and I wanted the new style halyard winch that is super smooth and faster to de-rig. I painted the outer hull in May with Interlux 2000E which is their most durable epoxy finish. From the side it looks like a brand new boat. I love this boat, but my wife and I are moving South in the Summer.

I'm in Framingham, MA

Back