What size rope is original?

Thanks for the info. The Halyard line being 3/16" seems light, but there currently is what looks like 1/4" clothsline there. Any idea what the load rating is on those lines?

I found 3/16 line locally that is rated at 60lbs. Good enough?

If you check the types of cordage used in the 3/16" halyards you'll find they are dacron covered spectra cored line. Not your average "rope" you'll find on a spool. The dacron cover provides wear and UV resistance for the ultra low stretch spectra core.

The Sprint Line (5mm 16 plait pre-stretched polyester) suggested is rated at 1320 lbs. It's not the static load you want to be concerned with, it's the twist and snap shock of a sudden jibe that rockets the load on the line into high values. Not the point where you want line failure.

My boat has the original rope for the sheet, (1974), I would like to replace the brass bridle clip.

The rope goes thru the clip and is woven back into itself..does any one know how to do this..reweave the rope into its self. I like the look and lack of knot there. Thank you for any help.

PS: I love saving money, but the halyard is not the place to do it. You want a good no-stretch line. Go with the previous recommendations of Dan and/or mike4947.

Thanks Dan, yea I want to splice. I have been out of sailing for so long here in New Mexico I forgot the word. Splicing.

I switched from sailing to hot air balloons as thats what happens out here in New Mexico, but couldn't keep away from the water, hence the Sunfish.

thanks again.
Erik

Back