What Size Halyard are You Using?

Woodwind

What diameter and length halyard are you using?

So I’ve got this new halyard I haven’t installed it yet and it mic’s out around 5 mm it’s really skinny in comparison to the old one that’s on the boat I bought. It’s a little bit hard on the hands without gloves.

I’m thinking I need a fatter one just like the one that’s on there, but it’s almost 3/8 of an inch it looks like the kind of cord that’s in window sashes with the old style window weights. It’s polyester doesn’t look like yacht braid, but maybe it’s well worn yacht braid.

The main issue is that the halyard should be very-low (or non) stretch. Some lines are more slippery than others.
I just measured mine; it's 5 mm.

5 mm is about the max size racers use. You’ll get used to the 5 mm. Hopefully it doesn’t stretch!
OK I will use it!
I got it from intensity sails it is New England Ropes prestretched poly and it was recommended for the Sunfish halyard so I think it’s OK, just skinny in comparison to recreational line that came with the boat. Thanks!

It is skinny. I bought a Sunfish with a skinny halyard, and had a difficult time trying to raise the rig without severing something! :(

Once you've gotten the bitter end around the deck cleat, use your right hand to pull on the halyard next to the mast; And, like launching an arrow from a bow, keep pulling while tensioning the line at the cleat with your left hand.

Thanks! Signal Charlie!!!
I’m going to keep my 8 mm Robline mainsheet, I am getting used to it, though it is still slippery.
Will probably get a 5/16 Stayset to have two main sheets in my quiver. Easier on my hands in higher wind speeds.

I ordered a three eights Sampson SLX, finally received it after months from a really slow ship from an online supplier.
A lesson to stick with Colie Sails, Intensity, The Dinghy Shop and West Coast. They ship fast and don’t have the backorder issues. Colie will alert you if there is an issue like fat lines... they are sailors and care.

Anyway, It’s a really fat three eights and I can’t use it.
Mics in over 10 mm even when the cover is “miliked” and stretched tight.
“My bad”
I don’t think the vendor will allow me to return it and probably the return shipping cost will be up half the cost anyway.
I’ll use it as a dock line on a bigger boat or drag a tree limb around the yard with it :eek:

Live and learn. :)

Back