What Size Ball Fits into the Mast Step to keep out Debris? And how well does a racquetball seal the mast interior?

Woodwind

We’ve had racquet balls recommended for the interior of the mast to replace the old dry cork plugs.

I figure there’s an alternative also for the mast step when you’ve hauled your boat up out of the water for the day, don’t want to put the cover on it yet and want to keep out leaves and other debris.
Anybody have any ideas which one?
There is a pricey little plug sold online but I figure a ball large enough that wouldn’t slip down inside would work also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Especially around salt water, inspect your older mast for "pinhole" corrosion. Right there is a reason to position a cork (or handball) so the leakage is isolated. I'd add a long spritz of anti-corrosive spray while your mast is apart.

Earlier, I'd posted a picture showing a pinhole "leak", demonstrating how small it was by inserting a pine-needle into it. :oops:

That mast eventually folded over due to encountering a violent "cell", but about a foot from the obvious pinhole corrosion. Still, a sailor doesn't need a mast slowly filling up from a leak you can barely find--or even see! :confused:

Back