What should I expect to pay?

kwiqsilver

I'm in the market for a sunfish and was wondering what I should expect to pay for a boat.

I found a '73 in good shape, with significant fading on the deck though, for $800. It includes a trailer in good shape as well. Is that a decent price?

Also, is it possible to get the color back in a deck, or would it require new paint?

If the '73 is not waterlogged (i.e. more than 145 for the bare hull) and in otherwise good shape with a trailer, $800 is a fair price.

A.Glos

I sold a late 60's last year with original Sunrise Sail, good shape but heavy $ 500.

I bought a 1976 decent with a sail of good used value (put on new sail) for $400 and just had it out two weeks ago and it handles like a dream, better in fact than our 1998 family sunfish. I thought I let the first one go too cheap, but this hull is easily twice as nice.

Not to be idle and living up to an online commitment to purchase, I also bought a backup 1988 for $ 300 that had some patches, although I can't figure if these were covering anything more than scratches as there was only one skim coat of light cloth. The rudder and daggerboard were showroom cond. The boat is so light I could almost cartop it alone.

I lost to an ebay bid a late 70's that I pre-inspected as a really nice boat that I wanted but the boat went for $ 800.00. There were no trailers for any of these.

I bought a 69' last summer in mint condition with no trailer for $500, so $800 for a boat in good shape on a trailer sounds reasonable.

If your not in a hurry to buy you can get even better deals.

I have spent less than $900 on two Sunfish (separate deals) in great condition. Thats including new sails for them. Neither are leakers.

-Erik

If you're willing to wait for a deal and do some digging for a poorly advertised boat for sale you can find some real steals. I picked up a '76 in good shape on Craigslist for $200 from a guy who was clearing out a storage unit and just wanted the boat gone. He had listed the boat in the body of an ad for a power boat so it wasn't obvious and I assume didn't attract much attention. I also bought a nice jet ski trailer for $150 off CL as well.

On the price:
Consider that the trailer in good condition could be worth $350 or more. I'd say you stole from the seller.:)
On the fading:
A little buffing should restore the deck. If that doesn't work, try a gelcoat restorative.

Back