What should I do with the ol' girl?

brianla

Howdy...

So I'm a newbie to the boards, but I've had my Sunfish for a while (well, is 7 years a while?) I moved to Los Angeles a couple of years ago but left my boat up with my folks in Northern California until last year, then brought it down to live with me. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be a lot of sail-friendly lakes in this area and the thought of taking it out in Marina Del Rey (the ocean with tons of traffic) seems insane. So I posted it for sale on Craigslist, thinking that I was all alone in this neck of the woods and starting to believe that nobody sailed these little hot rods anymore. Since I was only getting a limited number of responses from people on CL, I started looking for Sunfish sites on the web and found you guys, (I don't remember running across this site when I was heavily sailing back in 2001 or so).

So my question is, what should I do with the boat? Is there anybody in the LA area that sails? Anybody have any suggestions on where to sail down here? Or should I give up the ghost and clean up the corner in the yard so that the girl in my life can start a garden or something? I really enjoyed the fish and never got to enjoy the trailer I finally got for it (always dragged it off the roof of the car -- what a hassle). I'd love to hear from anybody who's either sailing a fish around here or who might like to sail one. Cheers.

...Brian....

P.S. I don't mean to sound like a classified ad. I just haven't spoken to anybody who sails these anywhere anymore!

----------------
Daysailin' hot rod 1972 AMF Alcort Sunfish; white hull, blue deck w/white bow stripe/~1989 rainbow sails/refinished natural wood daggerboard and tiller

Although I live in Erie, PA, I have been to Marina Del Ray. Understand your point about traffic. Probably not the best venue.

I was at the Mallory Cup at King Harbor Yacht Club a number of years ago. They have a very nice facility and sailing venue. I would check that out before deciding.

You may want to switch classes to something they sail locally out there if you are interested in racing.

If you want more opinions on sailing venues and one design classes in the LA area, you may want to try a post on the SailingAnarchy.com forums. Just be careful about what you say or they (the board hoarde) will eat you for lunch!

Tim

Hi Brian,
I live up in Oxnard and own a Fish as well. I've sailed a couple of times out past the breakwater and into the Channel. Folks are amazed to see such a small boat out surfing the swells. What year is your fish? I keep mine down at Channel Islands Landing for $7.50 a month. Its right on the harbor and easy to put in. I can also sail across or around the harbor and stop and eat lunch then jump back in again and continue sailing.

Give me a shout sometime. 805-479-9650

Back