What sailboat should I buy?

andrewestin

Hey guys I would love to have an open discussion and hear your feedback:)
I have about 3500 USD give or take and I want to get back into sailing. I used to own a laser and I loved it! I live in Indiana now and I am debating on if I should get a laser or a hobie cat, or maybe even a bigger 22 foot type boat. I love the adrenaline that the laser provides, but I hate that I cant take more than one other person on it. What do you guys think?
Thanks,
Dre

I don't have a lot of experience relative to the others on this forum but I do spend a ton of time dreaming and looking at sailboats so what the heck.
I have a Capri 14.2 currently. I think the boat has a world of excitement to offer. It can comfortably carry three adults, four if you are just relaxing. On the single-hand side, it is a very powerful package that will definitely get the adrenaline going when the jib and main both fill out. It is light enough and small enough to handle alone with a trailer and not require the help of others to launch and recover.
But if I could swing it, I would love to have a Hobie Wave. Plenty of room as long as you don't mind getting wet, plenty fast and also the advantage of flying a hull. That must be a blast.
I don't know what it is like to sail a bigger keel boat but from what I have read, life starts to center more on cruising instead of adrenaline. It's not really the same world.
Best of luck to you, I am sure it will be fun!

I don't know what it is like to sail a bigger keel boat but from what I have read, life starts to center more on cruising instead of adrenaline. It's not really the same world.

Ah, but it IS equally satisfying... nothing wrong with cruising, especially when ya have family and/or good friends aboard and you're all having a blast! Plus, aboard a larger sailboat, y'all can safely voyage farther offshore and carry more provisions... something to consider unless you're into hardcore small craft voyages on rations (less food & beer), and I know a little about making such voyages, LOL. :cool:

Both choices (smaller craft & larger sailboats) have advantages & disadvantages, particularly when it comes to transport, storage, slip fees or moorage, etc., but don't write off larger boats, even if ya only rent 'em. Sometimes THAT is the way to go, sail the smaller craft when you're solo or with a friend, but rent larger craft when ya need to do so. I've used that program in the past, and it works pretty well... :rolleyes:

Let's face it, not everyone wants to pay for insurance & slip fees & whatnot at a marina, yet an occasional rental is the perfect solution when one has multiple family members or friends to accommodate. Just know this: unless you're familiar with each class you rent, you'll be dealing with new boat specs & handling characteristics, and issues like serious weather helm may arise, among other potential problems if you're not clued in, aye? :eek:

ENOUGH SAID, JUST DON'T WRITE OFF CRUISING AS A WAY TO GET YOUR ADRENALIN FIX, IT CAN BE QUITE FUN IF YA GO ABOUT IT THE RIGHT WAY... KEELHAULING IS ALWAYS AN ENTERTAINMENT OPTION, PARTICULARLY WITH THOSE NAGGING FREAKIN' IN-LAWS YOU NEVER LIKED, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ;)

Last edited:
Hey guys I would love to have an open discussion and hear your feedback:)
I have about 3500 USD give or take and I want to get back into sailing. I used to own a laser and I loved it! I live in Indiana now and I am debating on if I should get a laser or a hobie cat, or maybe even a bigger 22 foot type boat. I love the adrenaline that the laser provides, but I hate that I cant take more than one other person on it. What do you guys think?
Thanks,
Dre
Forgot to mention that id be sailing in a lake btw.

Dre, for that sort on $$ during these challenging economic times, you may be able to find a nice 14-25 ft. sailboat. I suggest you consider the use you intend - racing or cruising, and the number of crew/passengers who will typically sail with you. The Capri 14.2 is a fun boat in moderare winds, but is best limited to two adults. If you desire more speed, go with a catamaran. Do you intend to overnight onboard? If so, you may want to consider a boat with a cabin. If you have access to a marina with rentals, try out different boats for an afternoon. May the wind be at your back!
Cal

Back