What model is this boat?

thirstyp

I need some help with figuring out exactly what model boat I acquired. The length is 13' 9" and beam is 4' 1". My boat has a formed fiberglass splash guard, much like a Minifish. My understanding is that the Minifish is ~11' 9".

Attached are some recent photos I took. Does anyone know what this boat is exactly?

Attachments

• DSCN1679a.JPG
    DSCN1679a.JPG
    615.4 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN1732a.JPG
    DSCN1732a.JPG
    594.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN1731a.JPG
    DSCN1731a.JPG
    511.9 KB · Views: 79
It is either an AMFlite or a Windflite. Both were made by AMF, the Sunfish builder. The hull is the same as the Sunfish, but the deck was designed to be cheaper to manufacture. The rigs were the same except the sail logo was different. I think Sears sold them for a while. Someone else on the board will respond with more info. BB

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I looked on the Yahoo Sunfish Forum and found it under the Clonefish directory. It seems AMF made the AMFlite pre '72 and the Windflite from '72 until the mid '80s. They manufactured them for Sears to sell? There seems to be some devoted owners out there that are really into these boats.

I finished sanding the boat yesterday and am going to repaint and refit it. It was rigged with a normal Sunfish mast, spars, sail, but the the sail was dry rotted. I have another one I am going to use though. I plan on getting it refurbished and enjoying it.

Thanks!

There's a large family tent camp near me that has one "available" for anyone at the camp.

Since it is so similar to the Sunfish, here's a photo that shows the sail logo well:

wndflit2.jpg

BB - I think you are right on -- Windflite since the ID says it's a '74. I am skeptical of the Sears connection though. At the Sears forum and the Snark forum there's much documentation showing Sears was in bed with Snark. I've yet to come across any Sears/AMF evidence.

Thanks for the help.

Does anyone have any recommendations on installing a mainsheet block on this boat? Attached is a photo showing the deck. There is no room between the cockpit and daggerboard, which seems to be the usual place to install on a Sunfish. Can I mount it on the front vertical wall of the cockpit? Can it be oriented correctly from there? I am about to install an inspection port either starboard or port of the daggerboard. So I will have access to install blocking to mount it to.

Attachments

• DSCN1740a.JPG
    DSCN1740a.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 55
I think you'll find that there is a eye strap with the same bolt hole spacing as the existing main sheet hook on the front cockpit wall so you can use the existing holes/fasteners for mounting.
Your main problem will be getting the ratchet high enough from the eye strap so it wont lock up on the cockpit wall

I cut a hole for a 6" inspection port between the cockpit and splash guard, on the port side of the daggerboard. I felt some blocking where the mainsheet hook is located. I believe I can fit some additional blocking to reinforce the location where you have the illustrated the block Dan. Thanks for taking the time and illustrating it for me.

I was thinking a basic eye-strap for the block with SS fender washers from below. That's all a Sunfish needs.

Back