What main sheet cleat to use ?

Levent

I have a laser 2004 who has no main sheet cleats on it !?. What is the best choice, I know there is micro-cleats I could possibly use. Also, I'd like to know the exact position where I should install them, I'm afraid that I'll find them in the way, what do you think ?

Just say no to mainsheet cleats! or is it friends don't let friends cleat their laser sails? If you must put these on your laser, go sailing w/o them first, bringing a pencil w/ you, preferably in light air. mark where you sit in light air. nothing is more distracting than sailing whilst sitting on a camcleat.

... Also, I'd like to know the exact position where I should install them, ... ?

Hi,

here is a video of Steve Cockerill ( Mr. "Roostersailing"), one of the longtime successful professional sailing Laserites of the UK, in that he gives a lecture on your questions:

http://www.roostersailing.com/merchant2/videos/sidedeckcleats.swf

My Laser is a former boat of a pro Laserite of my country. He did install the cleats more forward (view photo in attachment) than Steve does advise. I use Ronstan Cleats (came with the hull), but some cleats of Harken or Holt or Sprenger would be fine, too, if you decide for cleats for the mainsheet.

Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• Bild004 Cockpit Laser Manatee.jpg
    Bild004 Cockpit Laser Manatee.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 185
... Also, I'd like to know the exact position where I should install them, I'm afraid that I'll find them in the way, what do you think ?
I believe there is a specific place on the deck where a backing block is installed at the factory to screw into. You need to find the factory diagram with those dimensions.

And yes, they are in the way and you often sit with one leg on the cleat. And as soon as you cleat a main, a gust will knock you over - I think that's the rule.

Attaching the cleat on your pant is a cool idea :) Is it me or the diagram is not clear at all ? Thank you all for your comments

Attaching the cleat on your pant is a cool idea :) Is it me or the diagram is not clear at all ? Thank you all for your comments

And if I saw them I'd probably ping you for it.

Look at the measurement diagrams and you'll see that there is a specific location for mounting the deck cleats.

Personally, I hate deck cleats and have never used them.

You don't say how long you have been sailing a Laser. If you are new to Laser sailing (or returning after a longish break), then I would suggest waiting before making too many changes. When I returned to Laser sailing after many years sailing other boats I wanted to make all sorts of changes. For example, I wanted to cut the Laser supplied standard tiller extension shorter. I thought I'd wait and it is surprising how quickly you get used to how things are and that once used to them they are better than the mods you might have been considering.

I did think about mainsheet cleats bit decided to wait and I have not even thought about them until your post. I found I quickly got used to holding (or standing on) the mainsheet such that I just don't ever miss the cleats.

Different people will like different things so I'm not saying don't fit them, but rather, if you have not sailed your Laser for some time, just give it a few weeks and them see if you still want to make the changes.

Ian

You don't say how long you have been sailing a Laser. If you are new to Laser sailing (or returning after a longish break), then I would suggest waiting before making too many changes. When I returned to Laser sailing after many years sailing other boats I wanted to make all sorts of changes. For example, I wanted to cut the Laser supplied standard tiller extension shorter. I thought I'd wait and it is surprising how quickly you get used to how things are and that once used to them they are better than the mods you might have been considering.

I did think about mainsheet cleats bit decided to wait and I have not even thought about them until your post. I found I quickly got used to holding (or standing on) the mainsheet such that I just don't ever miss the cleats.

Different people will like different things so I'm not saying don't fit them, but rather, if you have not sailed your Laser for some time, just give it a few weeks and them see if you still want to make the changes.

Ian

What you're saying really makes sense. I've started sailing last year but I sail often. Yesterday I realized that I sit often right were the cleats would be so I'm not too crazy about it anymore ... They could be useful though, that's clear in my mind.

seems like a swivel base with cam would work perfectly....Im new to laser racing...but have raced 18 ft catamarans extensively for years....sometimes my hands get tired and just need a rest.....or if i had a 3rd arm and hand

t

Please, does anybody know is the micro-cleat SV11 sold at APS is a good choice ? I am wondering whether I should go with very standard cleats to make sure I have no problem. I also like to know what size of screw to use: diam and length.

I've found the Servo's design with the cleat groves running up and over the top makes them a little more prone to catching and ripping shorts. I prefer either the Ronstan or Harken models..

Screw length should be at least 1.5" to 2" I don't recall the dia, but anybody that sells the cleats should be able to advise.

I've found the Servo's design with the cleat groves running up and over the top makes them a little more prone to catching and ripping shorts. I prefer either the Ronstan or Harken models..

Screw length should be at least 1.5" to 2" I don't recall the dia, but anybody that sells the cleats should be able to advise.

Oh ... besides that problem do you think they have any advantage over the other models ?

Re: Why keep cleats?

Speaking of ripping the backs of your hikers, has anyone just taken them out and filled the holes with shorter screws and some sealant? I'm ready to be rid of them.

Any one knows what model could be good because what I find seems to be too small, the Harken 468 can take a line as big as 6.35 mm (the rooster main sheet is 7 mm). It looks like the micro-cleats are not big enough for the main sheet.

Any one knows what model could be good because what I find seems to be too small, the Harken 468 can take a line as big as 6.35 mm (the rooster main sheet is 7 mm). It looks like the micro-cleats are not big enough for the main sheet.

All three (Servo, Harken and Ronstan) micros work fine with line up to 5/16" These are the cleats that are normally installed by LP and dealers on event boats and new boats when requested - you have to remember that the line will "squish" and not be perfectly round when it sits in the cleat, thats why a larger dia line will work without issues...

Re: Why keep cleats?

Speaking of ripping the backs of your hikers, has anyone just taken them out and filled the holes with shorter screws and some sealant? I'm ready to be rid of them.

Yes, I've done that on my current hull that I bought used. Just haven't had to mix up an resin/thickener lately to permanently fill the holes

All three (Servo, Harken and Ronstan) micros work fine with line up to 5/16" These are the cleats that are normally installed by LP and dealers on event boats and new boats when requested - you have to remember that the line will "squish" and not be perfectly round when it sits in the cleat, thats why a larger dia line will work without issues...

You say it will work fine but it's a little tight. I didn't know that. I believe The Harken and Ronstan are similar, only the Servo has a different design but base on other comments they seem to be a not so good choice. The H150 is the standard one and is really big (and expensive), it's curious they don't provide a model in between the H150 and the h468.

I find that the mainsheet cleats are handy when you take a break to consume 12 oz of aluminum wrapped refreshment... or hop off the side and go for a swim...

I have one boat with and one boat without... in the boat without, I 'cleat' the main by tying a quick fisherman's knot on the windward side of the mainsheet block... then I can goof off while being only a quick pull away from 'uncleating'.

I like the Mainsheet blocks on the boat that came with them, but I doubt I would install them, since a quick knot does the same job without holes in the hull...

Thanks for the information about installing cleats, both the diagram which is hard to figure out and the photo which clarifies placement. I'm planning to install them on my new used Laser in a few minutes. There's no way I would use the cleats while on the water, but I would hate to trailer a Laser without cleats. They are an extra level of protection holding back those three "spears" aimed at my back in the event of an accident.

Kaye
P.S. I have a winter project Laser (Sail 115148) for sale in Lexington, KY for someone who enjoys puttering about with boat repair during the winter months. There is some separation between deck and hull in places and a dented spot in the side of the hull that looks like someone threw a basketball at it. I loved her dearly, so I hope to find someone interested in a project so Au Contraire can go out and sail some more.

Back