what main block to use?

Cavi

my sunfish did not come with a main block, only a little hook that the mainsheet could run under. I want a swivel with a cleat. I have one of the harken 241 blocks, but it only has a fairlead and no pully. Will I be okay with this setup or do I need to go for the taller harken that has the cleat and swivel base for a block? Anyone have pictures of their setups? And yes I really want a cleat, I am really used to it.

here is my setup: a Harken 2135 block and a Harken 150 cam cleat. I later added the stand-up spring and the spring cup so the block stays standing up.
mainsheet-block-and-cleat.jpg

here is another shot - this time on my newer Sunfish. this includes the stand-up spring (H071, I think) and the spring cup (HSB2 maybe?). I have NOT installed the cleat on this one, and have not minded it. I like the option to cleat in lighter winds, but have found ways to work around it... sitting on the mainsheet, hooking it in my toes, whatever works for short term.

img0213_019-mainsheet-block.jpg

In circumstances when I want to 'cleat' it I just put a quick slip knot in the main sheet,just before the block. It holds fine, and with a quick tug it comes undone. For most purposes, though, the Harken 241 is just fine. Several weekend sailors at our club use it and like it.

Reactions: tag
after reading up i am torn between using the 241, and adding a block instead of the fairlead, and going with the 205. The 205 seems tall to me and I am slightly worried that the 241 with the block might not have much space between the exit of the rope on the block to the entrance of the cleat, making it tough to uncleat.

after reading up i am torn between using the 241, and adding a block instead of the fairlead, and going with the 205. The 205 seems tall to me and I am slightly worried that the 241 with the block might not have much space between the exit of the rope on the block to the entrance of the cleat, making it tough to uncleat.
I'm pretty sure there have been posts that show that adding a mainsheet cleat like the 2135 to the 241 doesn't really work.
the angle the mainsheet comes out of the block doesn't work well with the angle of the 241.

honestly, if you already have the 241, I'd probably just stick with that.

I would be fine with that but my wife wants a cam block not the fairlead, not that she would feel much difference, but that is what she wants....

Back