What is the correct name for this hardware?

Whitecap

So, last winter, before the pandemic hit us, I found this piece of hardware at an estate sale. I picked this up for 4 bucks. 491BDF9F-AC03-4892-A1FB-E3046391A95D.jpeg3C3D1B7F-F56E-43B7-8DBA-1078D461126F.jpeg0757C36E-9146-4E25-9E42-7558BA667689.jpeg
Im not sure of its correct nomenclatur, but as always, could use some expertise.
I’m not even sure it can be used on the sunfish.....but for that price it was worth purchasing it and seeing what could come of it. Now that I’m locked up in the house these days - it seems that I have some time on my hands and thought it might be time to tackle a new project.
My old, fair lead cam cleat (if that’s what it is called?) has been a trusted friend on my boat. I enjoy adjusting the sail for the conditions, then setting the line in the cleat to ease the pressure off my arm, then readjusting as needed. I’m not a racer. I’m a lazy sunfish enthusiast that enjoys sailing with my music and taking the easy way out! (Or ”take the long way home”, Supertramp reference). I’ll get there when I get there - and that’s just fine by me!

As the below pics indicate, I’ve got some spider web cracking around my old cleat. I understand that typically means the fiberglass below has been compromised somehow. Although the present cleat is still super stable, if I can put on this new swivel ratchet block cleat thingy, I may as well fix all that spider web cracking. Pics below:
5744D7BD-F7F6-4EDA-B834-D5C6568B861F.jpeg

C7EFD09F-6DFF-42C4-B321-E22E6CD7C911.jpeg
Questions for our illustrious community:
1) what is the name of this hardware I bought for 4 bucks?
2) can I add it to my sunfish?
3) should I add it to my sunfish (I’m a lazy sailor).
4) has anyone here done this project before? How extensive is it? Any documentation or videos?
5) will this new hardware negatively affect my fond sailing, musical adventure?

Warm regards to you all,
Whitecap

Last edited:
That doohickey serves the same purpose as the thingamabob you have on the boat now. The benefit is it has a Harken Ratchet that you normally set to only rotate when sheeting in. It does not rotate when sheeting out, which helps ease strain on your hand. However, they can be hard to uncleat when you most need to uncleat, leading to capsizes. But some people love them. $4 was an unreal deal!!!!

Beldar,
You, Alan, Tag, and a many others here have been invaluable to me on my sailing adventures. I take your recommendations pretty seriously, as they have had a wonderful impact on my sailing life! The ratchet block has a switch on it to allow the block to move freely in both directions if needed, so it acts like a simple pulley, (mechanical advantage to pull in the sheet?).

Here in Texas, we get some gusty wind days. It is not uncommon here to get ten kts, gusting to 20kts from the South. (Or 15 gusting to 25 :eek:) On those types of days I would not be cleating in, I would just muscle the main sheet due to the constant changing conditions and rapid reactions needed. What are your thoughts here:

can it be used on a Sunfish?
Is there value in installing it for my type of sailing?
Is it difficult to install?
is the spider web cracking a needed fix?
is it difficult to repair?

Thanks again my friend,
Whitecap

1) It's a swiveling cam cleat with a ratchet block.
2) It's both physically and legally possible, but...
3) and 5) ...it's the higher Harken 144 model, which most likely won't work on a Sunfish as the release angle is too high.

Detach the ratchet block and fasten it (and the spring) at the same location as your current cleat. Don't worry about the cracks unless the deck flexes too much. In that case the actual sunfishers here will tell you how to strengthen it :D

_

Score! 4 bucks? Unreal. Definitely an upgrade to what you have. My Sunny only has the hook, so I bought a swiveling block so I can control from the boat, instead of pulling directly on the boom. But I didn't want to spring for one with a cam cleat because I'm cheap.
Yeah, check out the release angle. You want it to take a deliberate movement to lock it, but to release with any kind of a panicked pull! The main block on my Hobie is adjustable, but the one you have is not. It does look like it will tend to lock.

Could you turn the bracket upside down, and mount the cams on the other side? So to lock off, you would have to reach down to lock it, but any tug would release it on a gust? Maybe adjust the angle of the bracket in a vise?

I bought a cleated block that is adjustable. I angled it down for the easiest release. It makes for easier tacking in certain situations and gives me a free hand. I am going to make a plastic block that I can attach to block the cleat in gutsy winds. I really like the options of this hardware.
20200401_155618.jpg

You got a steal of a bargain to get that setup for $4! You could probably sell it for a healthier profit than the generous $1 that L&VW offered you.

Or you could take it apart and just use the ratchet block and cam cleat with a setup similar to my version like so (just add a stand-up spring... not pictured).

img0187_070.jpg

So, last winter, before the pandemic hit us, I found this piece of hardware at an estate sale. I picked this up for 4 bucks. View attachment 37359View attachment 37360View attachment 37361
Im not sure of its correct nomenclatur, but as always, could use some expertise.
I’m not even sure it can be used on the sunfish.....but for that price it was worth purchasing it and seeing what could come of it. Now that I’m locked up in the house these days - it seems that I have some time on my hands and thought it might be time to tackle a new project.
My old, fair lead cam cleat (if that’s what it is called?) has been a trusted friend on my boat. I enjoy adjusting the sail for the conditions, then setting the line in the cleat to ease the pressure off my arm, then readjusting as needed. I’m not a racer. I’m a lazy sunfish enthusiast that enjoys sailing with my music and taking the easy way out! (Or ”take the long way home”, Supertramp reference). I’ll get there when I get there - and that’s just fine by me!

As the below pics indicate, I’ve got some spider web cracking around my old cleat. I understand that typically means the fiberglass below has been compromised somehow. Although the present cleat is still super stable, if I can put on this new swivel ratchet block cleat thingy, I may as well fix all that spider web cracking. Pics below:
View attachment 37362

View attachment 37363Questions for our illustrious community:
1) what is the name of this hardware I bought for 4 bucks?
2) can I add it to my sunfish?
3) should I add it to my sunfish (I’m a lazy sailor).
4) has anyone here done this project before? How extensive is it? Any documentation or videos?
5) will this new hardware negatively affect my fond sailing, musical adventure?

Warm regards to you all,
Whitecap
Your original block is period-correct for the '70s.

I have a Harken like yours, but the arm to the cleat is only two-inches—works for me! ;)

To release in a gust, you do have to be on your toes!

A catamaran is slightly more forgiving: I remember having to "give a toss" to the mainsheet to pop it out of the cleat—then veering sharply upwind. (Although I've been told I've been doing it wrong!) :confused:

The cracking could be from impacts to the bottom when the boat is inverted—or maybe an unusual snow-load when stored outdoors.

I ground-down a postcard-sized area under that area and piled multiple layers of fiberglass matt. That "mound" doesn't bring the original appearance back, but it's stopped the cracking—and made a tougher area for misadventure to happen. That area is sanded, faired, painted, and shouldn't be any more trouble. Here's what I saw after removing the block. :eek:

Fullscreen capture 5112019 65158 AM.bmp.jpg

Well guys.... I’m not sure what to do here. It looks like this swivel cam cleat that I have is going to be too long for me to use on my fish.

Bummer. Maybe I’ll sell it on Craig’s list.

I do like the rig that Norcalsailor has. An adjustable cleated block seems like a nice set up. It would be fun to tear back into my boat again to make her better. The truth is though, that old gear is working good enough. The ratchet block would be nice for ease of sailing, though.

The idea that Tag brought forward is compelling as well.

so:
1) do nothing
2) get a cleated block and fix the spider cracks
3) take apart and repurpose the 4 dollar swivel cam cleat block thingy and make a rig like Tag suggests. (And fix those cracks).

Ill drink it over. The correct answer is certain to come.
-Whitecap

Questions for our illustrious community:
1) what is the name of this hardware I bought for 4 bucks? Swivel block cam cleat. Add ratchet if it ratchets.
2) can I add it to my sunfish? Yes.
3) should I add it to my sunfish (I’m a lazy sailor). No.
4) has anyone here done this project before? How extensive is it? Any documentation or videos? No. Unknown. Unaware.
5) will this new hardware negatively affect my fond sailing, musical adventure? Possibly, it seems like overkill, and the more thingamabobs that are sticking up are the more doohickeys to manage and for a sheet to snarl in.

can it be used on a Sunfish? Yes.
Is there value in installing it for my type of sailing? No.
Is it difficult to install? Depends on how its base is configured.
is the spider web cracking a needed fix? No.
is it difficult to repair? Time consuming and of minimum benefit. Could be fun learning though, in case you want to become the Spider Crack Repair Guru

Spider cracks occur from stress to the gelcoat or they occur over time as the gelcoats shrinks. They are mostly cosmetic unless the fiberglass underneath is damaged. They can be filed out a little and new gelcoat applied. You'd know more once you removed the old cam cleat.

There are an endless variety of swivelcamratchetcleatfairleadblockjamclam facinators to pick from, our choice is the swivel cam cleat that the manufacturer used for many years, before sprung ratchet blocks showed up. You can use just the fairlead on a windy day if you like.

swivel cam cleat.jpg

What part of Texas, Austin?

Thanks Charlie,
as usual, your inputs are valuable. If the spider cracks are cosmetic, and not structural, then I’ll leave it as is. I took the advice from many of you, a few years back, to get my sunfish up and running and get out on the water. It’s not too fast. It’s not too pretty. But it’s dry. Safe. And fun as heck. The kiddos and I are enjoying our little sail boat as we accidentally crash it into the dock, and bang it o to the shoreline (then make the repairs to keep it safe, dry, and fun.

after some quarantine drinks at sunset on the dock, I’m leaning to just leaving ”Matilda” the way she is, with the swivel cleat she came with.

any thoughts are welcome!

thanks again Charlie,
Whitecap

as usual, your inputs are valuable. If the spider cracks are cosmetic, and not structural, then I’ll leave it as is.

I agree with everything from Signal Charlie. And I will add that I think 99.9% of the time, spider cracks in that area are just cosmetic.

If you do try to sell the entire doohickey, you'd probably get the best price on eBay. But I think you can disassemble it, and keep the ratchet block and round base assembly, and mount that on the deck where your current thingamabob is. Then perhaps you could add a cleat as Tag shows, or do something like this. You bolt the cleats in a place where you can access the bolts from within the cockpit so you can get the washers and nuts on. And they should go as far forward as you can so you minimize bruising of your thighs and butt!!
1587476709447.png

Skipper says the only time she got in trouble on a Sunfish was when cleats jammed unexpectedly. She likes the KISS Principle. She also just pointed out that MATILDA's sheet hook is upside down, that is the one thing that she would fix :)

She is currently evaluating the ratchet block and we'll get back to you on that one, I like it's simplicity and what Beldar and Tag have said about it, especially for mostly lazy day sails where you want to ride a few puffs.

I agree the cleat can end up causing problems if you leave the sheat cleated and get hit with a big puff, etc. With the cam cleat mounted on the cockpit lip as I've shown (my green Sunfish is a late 60's/early 70's model), you pretty much can't cleat off the line when you're in higher winds - as you're hiked out/leaning back and unless you have insanely long arms, you just can't reach that far to cleat the mainsheet. I found that I only really used the cam cleat if I was drifting along in lighter winds and wanted to grab a drink of water or something like that.

So much so, that on my newer Sunfish with the rolled cockpit lip, I didn't bother installing the cam cleat at all... just the Harken 2135 block.
h2135 part 2.jpg

The mainsheet block, especially a ratcheting block, does provide a mechanical advantage over a simple rolling block or just a fairlead, as the grooved sheaves "grip" the mainsheet and provides extra holding power. Bottom line: the load your hands see as you're holding the mainsheet and hiking out is a lower force.

This video from Harken explains it quite nicely:

Agreed with the others about the spider cracks - I wouldn't bother with trying to fix them.

I took a better photo of my cleated ratchet block. This really helps for quick maneuvering in lighter conditions. I got used to it pretty quickly and it comes in handy when Andy and I are on the Russian River where we need to tack fast. It allows me to tack by cleating off without having to switch hands in the turn. In consistent winds, I can cleat off and cruise. I plan to cut out a rectangular piece of plastic that I can slide in front of the cleat in high winds.
This hardware gives me more options and flexibility than the ratchet block my boat came with.

Attachments

• 20200421_164158.jpg
    20200421_164158.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 42
That doohickey serves the same purpose as the thingamabob you have on the boat now. The benefit is it has a Harken Ratchet that you normally set to only rotate when sheeting in. It does not rotate when sheeting out, which helps ease strain on your hand. However, they can be hard to uncleat when you most need to uncleat, leading to capsizes. But some people love them. $4 was an unreal deal!!!!
I can attest to the inability to uncleat in a timely manner leads to turtle. And it happened so quickly.

Back