What is the best knot to tie halyard to boom?

Fresh Fish

I went on my first ever sail on a Sunfish last weekend and had a blast until the halyard clove hitch slipped on the boom and the sail came crashing down in about 10 knots of wind. Instead of trying to attach the halyard to the boom, and raise the sail, I had to shamelessly paddle back to the dock. The next time I go out, would it be best to use a Constrictor Knot instead of a Clove Hitch to attach the halyard to the boom?

This was just discussed a few days ago: check out this thread...

I went on my first ever sail on a Sunfish last weekend and had a blast until the halyard clove hitch slipped on the boom and the sail came crashing down in about 10 knots of wind. Instead of trying to attach the halyard to the boom, and raise the sail, I had to shamelessly paddle back to the dock. The next time I go out, would it be best to use a Constrictor Knot instead of a Clove Hitch to attach the halyard to the boom?
I had a constrictor knot on one of my recent purchases. It held well, but wouldn't slide to adjust the boom's height above the deck. It did surrender to a sharp knife. ;)

Here is my take on this 60+ year old debate: The best knot to attach the halyard to the boom is a clove hitch with an extra internal hitch and a simple overrhand stopper knot at the bitter end, see photos attached. This knot does not slip, never comes undone and does not need tape or other stops to keep it in place and can be easily loosened if you want to reposition the halyard attachment point.

Alan Glos

Attachments

• L1140189.JPG
    L1140189.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 113
  • L1140190.JPG
    L1140190.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 97
  • L1140191.JPG
    L1140191.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 114
  • L1140192.JPG
    L1140192.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 122
Alan Gloss for the win (again!).

The clove hitch is super easy to use. I tie it at the beginning of the season, and never have to worry about until I easily take it off at the end of the season. Very effective. Very simple. (Occam‘s razor.)

Last edited:
A question about the clove hitch, and I hope I'm phrasing it so it makes sense.

Does it work better in one direction, but starts to come undone when tugged in the other direction?

In other words, from the final image that Alan posted above, which direction should the strain be going, left or right? Is the base of the mast left or right in that image? Or does it not matter?

Getting ready to get the boat out, and would hate to tie a perfect clove hitch, but have it facing the wrong way, if there's such a thing.

Thanks

Another option is to tie your clove hitch, then take the bitter end on around the spar and tie it to the halyard where it enters the clove hitch, if you catch my drift. That system will also "never come undone"---and I preferred it while sailing under a small craft warning, it's BULLETPROOF. :cool:

The clove hitch also comes in handy aboard larger craft, to secure fenders to stanchions... the hitch can easily be loosened and adjusted so the fender hangs at the correct height against the hull. Again, you can take the bitter end around the stanchion and tie it off to the line rising from the fender... BULLETPROOF. :rolleyes:

Thank you both.

Alan, per your images above, is the mast head to the right? Bulletproof is certainly what I'm after.

Back