What Is A Fiberon

DUNEBUG

My boat is 17' looks like a sunfish but comes to a point in back.
It says fiberon on the plate I am looking for info on the boat, and
can i sail with the fish or wil I bre an outcat.

My boat is 17' looks like a sunfish but comes to a point in back.
It says fiberon on the plate I am looking for info on the boat, and
can i sail with the fish or wil I bre an outcat.

So apart from being 3 foot longer than a Sunfish and having a totally different shaped hull and being named after decking material, your boat sorta kinda looks like a Sunfish?

Yeah you will bre an outcat. Meeeow.

ok ll'e look for a sunfish,but im'e stil gona sail this one too the guy next door has had one upside down in the yard for at least 6 years but wont sell.

DUNEBUG said:
ok ll'e look for a sunfish,but im'e stil gona sail this one too the guy next door has had one upside down in the yard for at least 6 years but wont sell.

Oh no !! You have revealed to the world the dirty little secret that "real" Sunfish sailors have been trying to hide. Out of 500,000 Sunfish sold in over 50 years....

4,000 are actively raced
8,000 are sailed for pleasure
40,000 are used by the kids as swimming platforms and for playing capsize games
448,000 are sitting upside down in some guy's yard. They are real status symbols in some towns. They communicate the message, "Hey - I'm really an active outdoors kind of guy - look at my yacht - but right now I need to mow the lawn and take my kids to soccer and get back in time to catch the game on TV".

You crack me up, just think if everyone took their fish to the lake on the same day evin just once a year it might make the 5 O'clock or film at 11;00.

DUNEBUG said:
You crack me up, just think if everyone took their fish to the lake on the same day evin just once a year it might make the 5 O'clock or film at 11;00.

That's a great idea DUNEBUG. We should choose a date and a place and tell every Sunfish sailor in the US and Canada to bring their boat there and sail it at the same time. If we ran some races we could call it something like "Sunfish North American Championships". We could have trophies for the fastest sailors - maybe some separate races for the kids and the fastest kid would be "Sunfish Junior North American Champion".

How many of those 500,000 boats would show up do you think? More to the point, would you show up?

PS. Don't even think about entering your Fiberon

It's not real likley at one event I was thinking more like all the pepole at their own lake on sunfish day and bring a frind with 400,000 to 500,000 boats each lake woule probubly have some
. all we have to do is locate and contact a few hundred thousand pepole say maby befor the forth of july.

How about this idea--We choose a date and EVERYONE who owns a Sunfish will have them out on the water nationwide!!! Imagine every local lake loaded with a bunch of Sunfish!! Now that will make the news!

True story...On Piseco Lake in the lower Adirondacks the state wanted to increase the launching ramps a tthe 3 public campsites in include boats of up to 35 feet. According to the state the lake was "under utilized". We as the local yatch club undertook a survey of boats on or within sight of the water around the lake. While I don't have complete figures I do remember the Sunfish ones. Our Variety fleet had apx 3-4 Sunfish racing every weekend. On the water where just over 60 Sunfish tied up on docks or beached and, Believe it or not, over 100 more were sighted from the water around camps leaning against trees, under covers, etc.
Several of us spend several week ends trying to contact the folks with the "offshore" fish and in most cases they were there just in case someone wanted to use them, but none were for sale and we managed to convince only 1 or 2 to come out and race or even sail.
As a note the survey showed the lake had plenty of boat usage so the increased ramps were scraped, but they did improve the existing ramps with floating docks to help incoming boats.

Heay mark that's what I was thinking the more pepole see the boats at the lake the more they will want to try.

tthe more the marier I always say.

mike4947 said:
Several of us spend several week ends trying to contact the folks with the "offshore" fish and in most cases they were there just in case someone wanted to use them, but none were for sale and we managed to convince only 1 or 2 to come out and race or even sail.

Is this just a Sunfish phenomenon? I suspect not. Walk around any marina on a summer weekend and see what percentage of the floating gin palaces are tied up at the docks. 90% very often! And if someone will spend $50k on a toy and hardly ever use it, I guess it's not surprising that a second-hand Sunfish costing $500 gets very little use.

DUNEBUG said:
all we have to do is locate and contact a few hundred thousand pepole say maby befor the forth of july.

That's the problem. How to get the word out? Maybe if we started a forum on the Internet and posted an invitation to it, millions of people would read it and every Sunfish owner would show up on the day?

hat do you think we could call the forum? prehaps were thinking too smal what about national sail boat day.
I haear tell you can walk acros parts of some lakes on top of boats during spring break prehaps we could tie in on that phenominum.

Back